Be prepared for emergencies

Published: Tuesday, Mar. 22, 2011 - 11:38 am
Last Modified: Tuesday, Sep. 13, 2011 - 6:57 pm

Public safety agencies recommend residents put together emergency supply kits, which can come in handy in the event of floods, fires or extended power outages:

What you need to prepare for a flood

The essentials:

• Water: one gallon per person per day. A week's supply is recommended.
• Food: ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits and vegetables, canned juices, milk, soup (if powdered, store extra water)
• Nonelectric can opener
• Portable radio, flashlight, spare batteries
• Essential medications
• Candles, matches
• Cash and change
• Baby supplies: formula, bottle, pacifier, soap and baby powder, clothing, blankets, baby wipes, disposable diapers, canned food and juices
• Important papers: insurance policies, copies of Social Security cards and birth certificates in a waterproof container
• Pet supplies: food, carrier, leash

Other items:

• Cooking and eating utensils
• Sanitation supplies, including household bleach, toilet paper and bar soap
• Change of clothing and sturdy shoes
• Blankets, sleeping bags, rain gear
• Tools and supplies, including shovel, ax, broom, screwdriver, pliers, hammer, and plastic or duct tape

For information on power outages and safety during storms:

• Sacramento Municipal Utility District customers should check; search under "Customer Safety."
• Pacific Gas and Electric customers should check, search under "Storms, Outages and Safety."

For information or to report flooding:

• In unincorporated Sacramento County: Call the 24-hour line, (916) 875-7246. For river, creek, stream levels and rainfall amounts, check or
• In the city of Sacramento: Call the 24-hour line at (916) 264-5011, or 311 from phones within the city, or see the websites, or
• In Roseville, information on stream levels in the city is available at In the event flooding will occur, warnings will be issued via Roseville's Government Access Channel - cable channels 14 and 73 - on AM 530 radio and the city's website.
• In Elk Grove, weather-related updates on street and stream flooding are posted at
• In Rancho Cordova, call the Public Works Department, (916) 851-8710 during business hours, or (916) 875-5000 after hours or weekends.

For information on river and stream levels:

• National Weather Service's California Nevada River Forecast Center:
• California Department of Water Resources Current Stream Level:

For information on sandbag locations:

• Sacramento County-operated and non-county-operated sites are listed on the website at
• Placer County: and click on Sand and Sandbag Locations
• El Dorado County: titleid=248&id=2147483692&terms=sandbags

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by
Quick Job Search
Sacramento Bee Jobs »
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads


Price Range:
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older