SANTA CLARA Randy Moss will attempt to make his comeback with the 49ers.
The wide receiver, who came out of retirement last month, signed a one-year deal with the 49ers after a Monday workout with coach Jim Harbaugh, who served as the quarterback during the session. News of the deal was first reported by ESPN.
Earlier in the day, team president Jed York said the 49ers needed a receiver who could go deep a forté of Moss' in his heyday and that he trusted Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke to make the right decision.
"Jim and Trent want to see if (Moss) can play," York said. "We need someone to stretch the field."
Running back Anthony Dixon said he watched the veteran run an array of routes on one of the 49ers' practice fields following a morning physical.
"He's Randy," said Dixon, an admitted admirer. "You have to account for him whenever he's on the field. Everybody knows that."
Moss, 35, made the Pro Bowl seven times during his 13-year career, and the 49ers must add multiple wide receivers in the offseason.
Still, Moss comes with risk. He has attracted criticism during his career, including for a run-in with the law in Minneapolis in 2002 and not giving full effort while with the Raiders in 2005-06.
He played for three different teams in 2010 (Patriots, Vikings and Titans) and finished that season with some of the most lackluster statistics of his career. In August he announced he would retire and spent 2011 out of football.
But in February, the 6-foot-4 receiver said he planned to return.
Terms of the deal likely are similar to the one the 49ers struck last season with another high profile free-agent receiver, Braylon Edwards. Edwards was a disappointment, and the 49ers cut him in December.