SAN FRANCISCO Investigators say there is insufficient evidence to arrest Giants slugger Pablo Sandoval for an alleged sexual assault at a hotel near Santa Cruz.
The Santa Cruz County Sherriff's Office completed its investigation Thursday and forwarded the case to the District Attorney's Office. No charges are expected.
A 21-year-old woman who lives in Santa Cruz County filed a sexual assault complaint against the All-Star third baseman June 1. The woman told investigators she met a small group of people in downtown Santa Cruz and went to a resort in nearby Aptos, where she said she was assaulted. Sandoval was contacted at the resort by detectives and cooperated in the investigation.
Sandoval's attorney, Eric Geffon, previously had called the encounter a "consensual, personal relationship of a sexual nature."
In a statement released Thursday, Geffon said: "The sheriff's department has completed a thorough and professional investigation, and we are pleased that they have concluded that there is insufficient evidence to support an arrest. Pablo will continue to focus on helping the Giants towards a playoff run this season."
The switch hitter received a three-year, $17.15 million contract last winter. He lost about 40 pounds through a strict workout regimen two offseasons ago to bring him down to about 240 pounds, then batted .315 with 23 home runs and 70 RBIs in 2011.
Sandoval missed more than a month this season after he had surgery May 4 to remove a broken hamate bone in his left hand. He is batting .307 with eight home runs and 30 RBIs.
Sandoval also made his second straight All-Star appearance and first as a starter this week. He hit the first bases-loaded triple in All-Star history, off Detroit ace Justin Verlander, to highlight a five-run first inning that propelled the National League to an 8-0 victory over the American League on Tuesday night.
A's A longtime friend of Coco Crisp was convicted in Los Angeles of 14 counts of fraud and identity theft for running up about $30,000 on the outfielder's credit card without his permission.
Marcus Andrews, 32, of Inglewood was found guilty of multiple counts of mail fraud and aggravated identity theft during a bench trial, authorities said. Andrews faces two to 20 years in prison when he's expected to be sentenced Aug. 20.