Hector Amezcua / hamezcua@sacbee.com

Caltrans bridge engineer Brian Maroney testifies Tuesday at a Capitol hearing on safety issues related to the new Bay Bridge span. He said the work passed various tests and was designed to exceed safety standards.

0 comments | Print

Lawmakers want outside review of Bay Bridge safety testing

Published: Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2012 - 12:00 am | Page 1A

Three state senators initiated an independent examination Tuesday into construction of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge after problems were discovered within Caltrans' testing program.

The request came at the end of a Capitol hearing in which top Transportation Department officials defended the project as exceeding various measures of safety. A Bee investigation revealed that a Caltrans technician who reviewed the Bay Bridge eastern span for safety had falsified test results elsewhere in the state.

The $6.5 billion eastern span, slated to open by Labor Day 2013, is the most expensive public works project in California history. The state is rebuilding the segment as part of a broader program that began after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake to ensure bridges can withstand the force of a massive temblor.

A Toll Bridge Seismic Safety Peer Review Panel of four leading engineers concluded in March that the bridge is safe based largely on material provided by Caltrans. But three of them have had financial ties with Caltrans or its contractors in the past. Sen. Mark DeSaulnier, D-Concord, said even if they conducted their work honestly, their connections to Caltrans and holding meetings in private may leave a perception of conflict of interest.

As chairman of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee, DeSaulnier asked the nonpartisan Legislative Analyst's Office to coordinate an independent panel of experts who can determine whether testing has proved that the Bay Bridge is as safe as Caltrans attests. Two other lawmakers, Sens. Ted Gaines, R-Rocklin, and Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto, also called for an outside review.

"I don't begrudge Caltrans its passion in defending the work it's done, but we're here to find out for the public what is truly the situation," DeSaulnier said. "And this is complex, because this is a structure unlike any other tried in the world."

Caltrans Director Malcolm Dougherty and bridge engineer Brian Maroney testified that the bridge had passed various tests and was designed to exceed standards for safety. Dougherty condemned Caltrans technician Duane Wiles for falsifying safety test results elsewhere but said the agency had not found such manipulations on the Bay Bridge components that Wiles reviewed.

Simitian suggested that it was odd that Wiles would have chosen to go "straight" on the Bay Bridge while faking other data.

"It seems a little hard to fathom why somebody's work would be without question rigorous in one venue but then problematic in other venues," Simitian said.

Dougherty said he was confident Wiles had not undermined the Bay Bridge project.

"This technician wasn't always working by himself," Dougherty said. "The majority of the time, this technician was working in a team atmosphere."

The Bee previously reported doubts about testing for two of the 13 reinforced concrete piles that make up the foundation of the main tower of the new Bay Bridge. An internal Caltrans report shows that a team of its own engineers recently found data irregularities involving two other piles. Those data are still under review.

Dougherty said he was open to an outside review, though he expressed concern about delaying Caltrans work on the Bay Bridge project.

But Simitian stressed that it was important to ensure the public that the bridge is safe, even if it takes additional time. He said enough problems have surfaced to raise legitimate doubts.

"You don't have the luxury of saying, 'There isn't a safety concern, we have to keep personnel issues closed and, by the way, I don't want to distract us from moving forward,' " Simitian said.

The Federal Highway Administration is conducting a separate review triggered by malfeasance in Caltrans' testing department. A draft report obtained by The Bee said that some of California's federal transportation money could be at risk because the state dragged its feet in notifying FHWA after discovering problems in 2008 and 2009.

But FHWA Division Administrator Vincent Mammano backed off that threat during Tuesday's hearing. He said his office is "completely comfortable" with the subsequent Bay Bridge testing and that he sees "no risk" of California losing federal funds.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more articles by Kevin Yamamura



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals