0 comments | Print

Testimony: Chief told of parks surplus

Published: Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012 - 12:00 am | Page 3A
Last Modified: Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2012 - 9:24 pm

Editor's Note: The second paragraph in this story was changed on Aug. 18 to correctly identify the name of the person in the investigative interview.

Former state parks director Ruth Coleman knew the department was running a budget surplus of $20 million even as it was carrying out a plan to close 70 parks, according to testimony released by the state Natural Resources Agency late Friday.

Coleman was briefed regularly about the $20 million surplus in the State Parks and Recreation Fund, according to an investigative interview earlier this year with Cheryl Taylor, the former budget officer for the Department of Parks and Recreation.

Taylor was interviewed April 12 by two lawyers, one from the state attorney general's office and another from the parks department. They were investigating an unauthorized vacation buyout program carried out covertly at parks headquarters in 2011 by Manuel Thomas Lopez, the department's former deputy director of administrative services.

The Bee reported Wednesday, based on a short summary of this testimony, that the two lawyers had been told about these "hidden assets" months before state officials acknowledged knowing about it.

The full interview, however, reveals that Taylor also told the lawyers that Coleman and her chief deputy, Michael Harris, knew about the surplus much earlier as a result of regular meetings with Lopez.

"Ruth knows about it," Taylor said. "That's what I'm saying – that's … why I was hesitant to even have discussions with you. Ruth and Michael are very much aware."

The full interview is contained in more than 1,000 pages of documents released late Friday by the Natural Resources Agency, which oversees the parks department.

Coleman did not respond to a phone message left at her home.

The testimony by Taylor corroborates a statement made by Lopez in a Bee interview last month. He said he had briefed Coleman about the budget surplus on at least five occasions.

Coleman has repeatedly stated she did not know about the surplus because Lopez withheld the information from her. Administration officials have maintained they first learned about the surplus the week of July 16. Coleman resigned on July 19, and Harris was fired.

The documents released Friday also reveal that the parks department moved to fire Lopez in early May. The termination notice targets him for "dishonesty," among other charges. Lopez, however, resigned on May 16, just days before the notice could be delivered.

According to the notice, Lopez received $28,647 in vacation buyout payments, more than any of the other 55 employees who took part.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more articles by Matt Weiser



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals