RANDY PENCH / rpench@sacbee.com

Gov. Jerry Brown and legislative Democrats approved the $150- per-year fire fee on rural properties as part of the 2011 budget deal.

0 comments | Print

El Dorado County joins lawsuit opposing fire fee for rural properties

Published: Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012 - 12:00 am | Page 3B
Last Modified: Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012 - 2:54 pm

El Dorado County is joining the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association lawsuit seeking to block the state's $150-a-year fire fee on rural properties.

The taxpayers association announced the suit earlier this month in a bid to end the program applied to 825,000 rural parcels with habitable structures and to seek refunds for property owners who have already paid the fee. So far, tens of thousands of parcel owners have paid.

The El Dorado County Board of Supervisors on Oct. 16 unanimously agreed to join the lawsuit.

"Hundreds of residents have contacted the county to voice their frustration about the fire tax," Supervisor John Knight said in a statement about the vote. "The Board of Supervisors can't sit idly by while the state is running a legalized extortion scheme on rural residents."

The suit filed in Sacramento Superior Court alleges that the fee, collected since August, was approved illegally, without the necessary two-thirds majority of lawmakers.

Gov. Jerry Brown and legislative Democrats approved the fee as part of the 2011 budget deal. The state Department of Forestry and Fire Protection and Board of Equalization are responsible for carrying it out.

Affected parcels are in the "State Responsibility Area" outside city boundaries and served by the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

While the fee is $150 per year, a $35 discount applies if the structure is also within the boundaries of a local fire protection district.

El Dorado County, which owns a number of parcels with habitable structures, also has paid the fee.

The county received bills for five separate properties, including sites purchased for a road right-of-way, a homeless facility, residential property next to a corporation yard and a mine disposal site, according to spokesman Mike Applegarth.

Applegarth said the county paid, but did so under protest.

Critics complain that the charge, which will generate about $85 million annually for the state starting in fiscal 2012-13, will make it harder for local fire districts to raise money. And, they say, there is no new service in exchange for the fee to be imposed across more than 30 million acres of California wildland and watershed areas.

Gov. Brown this year has waged a campaign to charge rural residents for the costs of fire protection since an increasing number of people have moved to wildland areas.

The greater the number of homes in rural areas, state fire officials say, the higher the cost of fighting fires.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more articles by Loretta Kalb



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals