Third Loomis care facility diner dies from mushroom soup

Published: Thursday, Nov. 22, 2012 - 12:00 am | Page 2B
Last Modified: Thursday, Nov. 22, 2012 - 12:28 pm

A third person has died as a result of being fed poisonous mushrooms earlier this month at a Placer County senior care facility, the state Department of Social Services has confirmed.

The name of the victim has not been released.

A spokesman for the Department of Social Services said the licensee, Gold Age Villa, called Monday to report the third death as a result of consuming mushroom soup that a caregiver had served using mushrooms foraged from the grounds.

The Department of Social Services, which is charged with investigating the incident, said it cannot release any additional information while its inquiry proceeds.

Gold Age Villa in Loomis remains open with one resident, pending the outcome of the investigation.

Teresa Olesniewicz, 73, and Barbara Lopes, 86, died earlier as a result of the poisoning.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more articles by Ed Fletcher



Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Sacramento Bee Jobs »
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older

TODAY'S CIRCULARS