The Bee's Joe Davidson looks at five pressing questions for the upcoming season.
FIVE PRESSING QUESTIONS
1. Is the new CIF Northern California Open Division playoff bracket good for the game? It's great for programs that have gotten derailed in the postseason against state-ranked private schools, but it's not a popular move for public-school powers such as Sheldon, who will now potentially have to beat even more of those private-school powerhouses.
2. Who is the coach's son who is fundamentally sound and gritty in the low block? Say hello to Matt Smrekar, a bruiser forward for Pleasant Grove and the son of retired area coach Jim Smrekar.
3. Can Franklin continue to be a factor despite losing players via transfer? Absolutely, especially with demanding coach Jesse Formaker leading the show.
4. Can Tyler Winston work wonders in high tops? He did it in cleats as the star player for Antelope's football team, and now he leads the Titans' backcourt after sitting out last season because of an injury.
5. Which coach still looks like a player, even though he's in his 50s? Kennedy's Robert Fong, a Cougars star in the 1970s, can hang with his players on sprints.