Two people were confirmed dead and three others injured in a shooting in Old Sacramento, police said late Monday.
Police spokeswoman Michele Gigante said a report of shots fired in the area of K and Second streets was received at 9:38 p.m.
She said no information was immediately available on the circumstances of the shooting.
The midnight fireworks show planned as part of New Year's Eve festivities was canceled because of the shooting.
The fireworks show is one of the largest in the area. The midnight display was to follow the one at 9 p.m, capping a night of celebration in Old Sacramento to welcome the new year.
Officials had planned it not only as a family event, but one that would provide a boost both to the area's economy and to the city's reputation.
"This show is important because we're the capital of California, and this raises the image of Sacramento," Mike Testa, vice president of business development for the Sacramento Convention & Visitors Bureau, had said in anticipation of the night's activities.
Earlier this year, the city had considered revisiting the Times Square-type party it held in 2008. That year, the city expected 2,500 people but was overwhelmed by about 25,000. It rejected such a party this year, citing security concerns.