Unattended fireplace sparks raging blaze at house

Published: Sunday, Jan. 6, 2013 - 12:00 am | Page 2B
Last Modified: Sunday, Jan. 6, 2013 - 8:37 am

A Citrus Heights couple awoke early Saturday after an unattended fire in their fireplace caused a raging blaze in the home's attic.

The couple escaped injury, but half of the Peoria Drive home was damaged in the fire, according to a Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District news release.

The first arriving firefighters were met with 30- to 40-foot flames.

It took 24 firefighters to extinguish it.

Metro Fire officials say the incident is a reminder of the dangers of leaving a fire unattended in a fireplace, and want to remind people to never close the damper when there are hot ashes in the fireplace.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more articles by Kim Minugh



Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Sacramento Bee Jobs »
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older