A fire in Arden Arcade sheds light on the importance of smoke alarms mounted in hallways.
About 7:30 a.m. Thursday, Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District firefighters responded to a home in the 3100 block of Edison Avenue. The fire was quelled by firefighters.
Before firefighters arrived, a citizen driving by the house noticed the flames and pounded on the front door.
The resident opened her bedroom door to encounter smoke in the house. The smoke then set off a detector in her bedroom. She escaped without injury.