Re "How hot? 2012 in record books" (Page A1, Jan. 9): After seeing heavy frost on my lawn today, I was moved to reply to the recent startle-gram.
Using scientific means, such as looking and touching, the frost on my lawn indicates a severe frost period. Extrapolating that across a larger scale, I can now announce there is world-wide cooling. In fact, since the last 14 years in a row have been colder than 1998, I can confidently announce that a new ice age has begun.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration report only spoke to about 1.5 percent of the earth's surface. That's where I'm headed. The other 98.5 percent of the world is stubbornly refusing to show any inclination to get warmer, a scientific fact that the Bee omitted as it just doesn't fit into the pre-conceived model.
-- Christine Versichele, El Dorado Hills