Hector Amezcua / hamezcua@sacbee.com

Bryan Oliver of Sacramento, who said he's been a Sacramento Kings fan since 2000, attended the Sacramento Kings 106-96 loss against the Phoenix Suns at Sleep Train Arena on Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2013.

0 comments | Print

Lawsuit could derail Seattle's plans to build arena, buy Kings

Published: Friday, Feb. 8, 2013 - 5:13 pm
Last Modified: Saturday, Apr. 6, 2013 - 4:25 pm

A lawsuit that could derail a Seattle group's plans to build an arena and buy the Sacramento Kings has been set for a Feb. 22 hearing in King County Superior Court.

The suit, brought by a Seattle longshoreman's union, contends the arena financing agreement between local government officials and a potential team ownership group violates state environmental law.

Longshoremen and other workers brought the suit saying they fear they could lose thousands of maritime and industrial jobs if a basketball arena and entertainment district were built in the port area south of downtown Seattle.

Attorney Peter Goldman, representing the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 19, said the city of Seattle and King County unlawfully committed to a plan to build the arena at that site prior to studying alternatives sites. The suit seeks to nullify the arena financing "memorandum of understanding" between city, county and the private group, led by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen.

The union's lawyer contends the arena proponents are giving the NBA the impression the project is further along than it is.

"Maybe he (Hansen) has an arena locked in more than Sacramento does, but he doesn't have an arena locked in here," Goldman said. "This lawsuit is not the silver bullet that ends the show. It is an important step to say there is no (legal) agreement, that the cart was put before the horses."

But Hansen's lawyer John McCullough, in a court filing two days after announcing the purchase of the Kings, downplayed the significance of the memorandum of understanding reached with city and county officials last fall.

The document "does not approve development of an arena," McCullough wrote. "(It) simply describes the process by which the arena proposal will be reviewed and how it will be financed if approved."

McCullough added that the longshoremen have no business filing an environmental case because their complaints are "a litany of purely economic concerns" that have nothing to do with environmental law.

The court hearing comes at a critical juncture for Seattle's effort to persuade NBA officials the city is basketball ready. Seattle lost the SuperSonics in 2008 because its arena was antiquated.

A win in court Feb. 22 for the Hansen group would clear at least one legal cloud for a Seattle arena and pave the way for a final environmental review.

The Hansen-led Seattle business group reached an agreement three weeks ago with the majority owners of the Kings to buy the team and move it to Seattle. The team would play temporarily in old Key Arena while a modern facility is built. The Seattle group has purchased land south of downtown for an arena.

The sale of the team, however, requires approval of the NBA board of governors, who next meet in April, and NBA officials have made it clear Seattle must have a solid arena plan in place.

Sacramento officials, meanwhile, are attempting to put together an alternative ownership group - and their own arena financing plan - in hopes of persuading the NBA to reject the Seattle deal and keep the team here.

As of Friday, that Sacramento group has not surfaced to state its intentions or offer a plan. However, sources close to the Sacramento effort said Southern California billionaire Ron Burkle and Bay Area entrepreneur Mark Mastrov are actively assembling an ownership group and formulating an arena plan.

Burkle previously attempted to buy the Kings, but was rebuffed by the Maloof family, the current team majority partners.

Meanwhile in Sacramento, fan groups are working to sell out Saturday's home game in hopes of sending a message to the NBA that Sacramento supports the Kings.

Part of the fan effort was a fundraising drive that took in enough donations to buy 626 tickets for local kids and their families.

"The reaction was awesome, especially when the kids heard what a big deal the game is going to be," said one of the donation drive's organizers, Kevin Fippin.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals