A blind 3-year-old pug named Ellie gave its Citrus Heights family first warning of a fire Sunday night, officials said.
The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District responded to a blaze in the 7600 block of Woodchuck Way around 11:15 p.m. Sunday and escorted residents out of the home.
Homeowners indicated the pug alerted them to the fire before smoke detectors sounded, officials said.
A fire department spokesperson said the dog is named Ellie. Her owner was traveling and the woman's parents were dogsitting.
Officials said cigarette butts ignited a back patio, and flames spread to an attic. Fire crews estimated the fire caused $75,000.
The city fire department responded to attic fires in the 1200 block of Gary Way in Carmichael on Monday afternoon and a four-unit apartment complex blaze on Cava Court in Arden.