Blind dog alerts Citrus Heights residents to fire

Published: Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2013 - 12:00 am | Page 2B

A blind 3-year-old pug gave its Citrus Heights family first warning of a fire Sunday night, officials said.

The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District fought the blaze in the 7600 block of Woodchuck Way around 11:15 p.m. Sunday and helped residents flee.

Residents indicated the pug alerted them before smoke detectors sounded, officials said. A Metro Fire spokesman said the dog is named Ellie. Her owner was traveling and the woman's parents were dog-sitting. Officials said cigarette butts ignited a back patio, and fire spread to an attic.

The city Fire Department responded Monday to two other attic fires, on the 1200 block of Gary Way in Carmichael and a four-unit apartment on Cava Court in Arden.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more articles by Dan Hill



Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Sacramento Bee Jobs »
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older

TODAY'S CIRCULARS