0 comments | Print

U.S. to add missile interceptors to counter North Korean saber-rattling

Published: Friday, Mar. 15, 2013 - 8:34 pm
Last Modified: Wednesday, Apr. 3, 2013 - 4:44 pm

Responding to a new level of belligerence from North Korea, the United States will place more missile interceptors in Alaska to respond to a nuclear threat that’s advancing faster than anticipated, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Friday.

His announcement comes as North Korea has ratcheted up its rhetoric, threatening to attack the U.S. and taking a more aggressive tone toward South Korea.

Fourteen new ground-based interceptors will be placed mostly in a reopened missile field at Fort Greely, about 100 miles southeast of Fairbanks, and will bring the number of U.S. interceptors in the area to 44. Hagel said the $1 billion program should be ready by 2017.

The defense secretary said it was important to make the move now and “not to take any chances, to stay ahead of the threat and to assure any contingency . . . to make sure we’re not reacting to (North Korea’s) timeline.”

The announcement came at a news briefing by Hagel, who was accompanied by other high-level Pentagon officials. They said the new interceptors would cover all American states and territories.

Besides North Korea’s increasingly warlike posture, development of its missile program has increased as well, defense officials said. Last April, a long-range missile test appeared to be an embarrassing failure. But in December, the communist country appeared to have a successful launch. Last month, it carried out what defense officials said appeared to be a successful underground nuclear test.

Adding to concerns, North Korea recently nullified a 1953 truce with South Korea and threatened a pre-emptive strike against the United States.

Defense officials said there was no evidence to support a North Korean general’s claims this week that the rogue nation has nuclear-tipped intercontinental missiles ready to fire at the United States. But Adm. James Winnefeld Jr., the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said military officials now thought that the North Korean long-range missile “probably does have the range to hit the United States.”

Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a statement that the move was “a much-needed measure of protection against the North Korean threat.”

But while “a step in the right direction,” Inhofe said, it “does not go far enough to address the threat from Iran.” He said it was time for President Barack Obama to develop interceptor sites on the East Coast, in addition to Alaska.

Stephen Long, an expert on North Korea at the University of Richmond, said Friday’s announcement overstated the North Korean threat. He said North Korean missiles hadn’t been shown to be able to reach U.S. shores and that there was no proof the country’s missile program had miniaturized a warhead necessary for an attack.

“The real chance that North Korea launches anything like a real attack on the United States is pretty much down to zero,” he said.

Read more articles by Matthew Schofield



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals