Election 2012
0 comments | Print

Republicans question ICE on release of illegal immigrant detainees

Published: Tuesday, Mar. 19, 2013 - 3:25 pm
Last Modified: Friday, Mar. 22, 2013 - 1:40 pm

House Republicans pressed White House officials for more answers Tuesday on the unexpected release last month of more than 2,000 illegal immigrants in anticipation of automatic across-the-board federal budget cuts.

Republicans blasted the move as part of an ongoing campaign by the White House – which included the threat of teachers being fired and of food inspectors being laid off – to scare the public so constituents would oppose the budget cuts, known as sequestration.

Virginia Republican Rep. Bob Goodlatte, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, noted that federal officials had to re-apprehend four illegal immigrants who were arrested for more severe crimes.

He described the release as a “recipe for disaster.”

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement released 2,228 illegal immigrants last month because of budget constraints, including more than 600 convicted criminals. ICE Director John Morton testified that 70 percent did not have any prior criminal records and 20 percent had convictions for one or two misdemeanors. Ten individuals were classified as more serious, Level One offenders. All of the released detainees are still in deportation proceedings, he said.

Federal officials did not compromise national security or public safety, Morton said, but they were trying to “live within our budget.” He cited the agencies’ record number of deportations, nearly 410,000 in fiscal 2012, and said detention levels already exceeded congressional funding levels.

“This is the highest level of detention ICE has ever maintained over the first five months of any fiscal year in history,” he said.

Facing nearly $300 million in budget cuts, Morton said repeatedly that he did not want to “rob Peter to pay Paul.”

If officials did not release the nonviolent detainees, he said, the agency may have had to cut other departments that focused on tracking drug smugglers, human traffickers and child pornographers. But Republicans said the agency could have asked for permission to move money from less vital areas of the department, including training, travel and conference budgets, instead of releasing the detainees.

“I counted six times that you said you didn’t want to rob Peter to pay Paul. I don’t want Peter or Paul to rob our fellow citizens because you guessed wrong on who to release,” said Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., who is chairman of the immigration subcommittee.

There are going to be consequences, said Gowdy, a former prosecutor, who added that some of those released are going to commit crimes again “because of this public relations stunt gone wrong.”

Read more articles by Franco Ordonez



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals