MANNY CRISOSTOMO / mcrisostomo@sacbee.com

Meals on Wheels, which provides home-delivered meals to people in need, is one of the programs in the Sacramento area that could feel effects of sequester-generated budget cuts.

0 comments | Print

Agencies serving Sacramento-area seniors expect sequester cuts

Published: Wednesday, Mar. 20, 2013 - 6:15 pm
Last Modified: Friday, Mar. 22, 2013 - 1:40 pm

Agencies that serve seniors in the Sacramento County region are bracing for the hit: Federally funded programs for older adults - including the popular senior nutrition program - face automatic, across-the-board budget cuts as a result of the sequester.

But so far, no one knows exactly how much will be cut, or when, and no one wants to scare elderly recipients who use these services.

"As soon as we start talking about cuts to Meals on Wheels, our clients call wanting to know if we're closing down," said Donna Yee, chief executive officer of the Asian Community Center, which since 2011 has run Sacramento County's Meals on Wheels program.

"Our clients get anxious. The uncertainty of the situation makes it difficult."

More than three dozen agencies in the seven-county region served by the Area 4 Agency on Aging are on hold until they receive official word from the California Department of Aging, which distributes federal dollars to Older Americans Act programs.

Those programs include senior nutrition, in-home assistance, transportation help, caregiver respite and legal services.

Unofficially, though, word has begun to filter back that California's agencies serving older adults should expect statewide cuts of about 5 percent to transportation, preventive health and in-home caregiver support programs - and cuts of about 8 percent to the senior nutrition congregate meals program, said Area 4 Agency on Aging Executive Director Deanna Lea.

"What we're hearing from the National Association of Agencies on Aging and the National Council on Aging is that these cuts are real," she said. "It's hard to know what to prepare for, but you have to prepare."

Potential cuts would also include a reduction to the home-delivered meals program by more than 4 percent, she said.

For the Sacramento region, the lost senior nutrition funds could amount to about $100,000 for the fiscal year ending in July, she said - but that reduction could be compounded by the loss of federal dollars from other sources, such as the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"People are hoping to maintain as many services as possible," said Lea. "Until we actually know the figures and period of time, it's very difficult."

Meals on Wheels by ACC is on track to serve 470,000 meals to seniors this year, said Yee. While 60 percent of those meals are delivered to the homebound elderly, the remainder are served at 23 sites around the county.

"With a reduction, so many fewer seniors would get care when they really need it," said Yee. "It's possible that seniors benefiting from the home-delivered meals would be discharged from the program because somebody else is more needy.

"Traditionally, people with the highest need have the highest priority to get served."

Call The Bee's Anita Creamer, (916) 321-1136.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more articles by Anita Creamer



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals