WASHINGTON The Obama administration's Syria policy was unraveling Monday after weekend developments left the Syrian Opposition Coalition and its military command in turmoil, with the status of its leader uncertain and its newly selected prime minister rejected by the group's military wing.
State Department officials said they still planned to work with the coalition, to which the United States has pledged $60 million, but analysts said the developments were another sign that the Obama administration and its European allies had no workable Syria policy.
The opposition coalition, already in its second incarnation, has been as beset by factionalism as its predecessor, the Syrian National Council, exacerbated this time by the meddling of foreign donors, analysts said.
But, they said, the United States has no other entity to back in a war that pits the regime of President Bashar Assad against a jihadist-dominated rebel movement.
"This is it. The U.S. can't reboot it a third time. If they can't make this work, they've got nothing," said Joshua Landis, the director of the Center for Middle East Studies at the University of Oklahoma and the author of the blog Syria Comment.
Syrian Opposition Coalition leader Mouaz al-Khatib announced his resignation Sunday, citing his frustration with unspecified foreign powers, which he accused of trading funding for control of the group. The coalition said it refused the resignation, and Khatib later announced on his Facebook page that he would lead a delegation representing Syria this week at the Arab League summit in Qatar, leaving his status uncertain.
State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said it was unclear whether Khatib had resigned, and that events were still "playing out."
"What's important is that the Syrian opposition continues to work toward what they've laid out, which is a vision for a tolerant, inclusive Syria," Ventrell said. "There may be different leadership that will come and go, there may be different folks who play different roles, but we are going to continue to focus on that important vision."
The confusion over Khatib's resignation was compounded by word over the weekend that the head of the Supreme Military Command, the semi-affiliated military wing of the coalition, refused to recognize newly chosen Prime Minister Ghassan Hitto, saying that Hitto had been improperly elected and pushed through by Qatar, one of the biggest backers of the opposition movement and its armed rebels.
Hitto, a longtime Texas resident who recently returned to the region to join the opposition, heads what was envisioned as an interim government that would take over when Assad falls. But his credibility is deeply in doubt now that Khatib appears to have resigned and Hitto's military commanders reject his leadership. The rejection also casts a pall over American efforts to pass through the coalition millions of dollars destined for Syrians who have been forced from their homes by the fighting.
Hitto was in charge of the coalition's nascent aid organization.
Opposition activists familiar with details of the negotiations say Hitto's nomination was backed by Syria's Muslim Brotherhood, the conservative Islamist organization that has fought the Assad regime for three decades and is at the forefront of the political opposition.
Qatar, a Muslim Brotherhood patron, supported Hitto over the objections of rival Persian Gulf nation Saudi Arabia. In retaliation, opposition activists say, Saudi Arabia, which is a key supplier of weapons to the rebels, pressured the Supreme Military Command's leader, Gen. Salim Idriss, to reject Hitto, essentially putting negotiations back at square one.
"With a clear absence of the U.S., small players like the Qataris and Saudis will take over," said a prominent Syrian opposition activist who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the political sensitivities of the topic.
© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.
Read more articles by Hannah Allam


About Comments
Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.