Philip A. Dwyer / Bellingham Herald/MCT

Problems on the Shell's Arctic Challenger, shown on September 17, 2012, at the Port of Bellingham in Washington, caused Shell to give up for the year on drilling for oil in the Arctic waters off Alaska.

More Information

0 comments | Print

Justice Department is investigating Shell’s Arctic drilling

Published: Wednesday, Mar. 27, 2013 - 5:05 pm
Last Modified: Friday, Mar. 29, 2013 - 3:36 am

The Coast Guard has asked the Justice Department to investigate possible pollution violations by both the drilling rigs Shell used in its botched efforts to explore for oil last year in the Arctic Ocean waters off the northern coast of Alaska.

Coast Guard Rear Adm. Thomas Ostebo said Wednesday that he’d turned over to the Justice Department for review and possible prosecution an investigation into the troubled Shell drilling rig Kulluk. Ostebo said it was an “investigation into potential Marpol violations.”

Marpol is short for marine pollution, and it’s a name used to refer to the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution From Ships.

The Coast Guard earlier had sent the Justice Department a list of 16 safety and environmental violations by the other rig used in Shell’s Arctic efforts, the Noble Discoverer.

“As the Coast Guard and Department of Justice are still actively engaged in these investigations, it would not be appropriate for me to provide additional information at this time,” Ostebo said at a Senate hearing in Anchorage, Alaska, chaired by Alaska Democratic Sen. Mark Begich.

Shell Alaska Vice President Pete Slaiby said at the hearing that he also wouldn’t discuss any matters under investigation, but he defended Shell’s efforts.

“Our drilling operations were completed safely and successfully. . . . It was while leaving the theater of operations that issues with the Discoverer were identified by the Coast Guard and the Kulluk ran aground,” Slaiby said.

The Kulluk was grounded for several days off Kodiak Island after a New Year’s Eve storm. Ostebo, who’s the Coast Guard’s commander for Alaska, said the grounding was an “event that highlights the rigors of operating in Alaskan waters.”

Ostebo said the Coast Guard was investigating the Kulluk grounding with help from experts with the National Transportation Safety Board and the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement. Such an investigation might several take months to complete.

The Noble Discoverer was found to have 16 violations after a Coast Guard inspection at the end of November. They included pollution control problems and a finding that the vessel couldn’t go fast enough to maneuver safely in rough Arctic conditions.

The rigs were able to drill only a partial well apiece. The Interior Department says Shell won’t be allowed to drill the Arctic waters again until it presents a plan that shows it can handle the conditions. “Shell screwed up in 2012,” Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said this month.

Shell has dropped plans to drill in Arctic waters this year in the wake of the problems, but the company promises to return at a "later stage."

Shell has spent more than $4.5 billion on its efforts to drill off the Alaska coast. David Lawrence, Shell’s executive in charge of exploration in the Arctic and the rest of North America, has announced that he’s resigning from the company. Lawrence told Dow Jones Newswires last year that the drilling off the northern coast of Alaska would be “relatively easy.”

Last summer, Shell was the first company in two decades to drill in Alaska’s Arctic waters. “It marked an historic re-entry into the U.S. Arctic offshore. . . . The first step to validating the enormous offshore resource potential,” Shell executive Slaiby said Wednesday.

Environmental groups are calling on the Obama administration to shut down the Arctic offshore drilling program, but the president has declined to do so.

“The administration is committed to supporting safe and responsible exploration of potential energy resources in frontier areas such as the Arctic,” Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Director Tommy Beaudreau said Wednesday.

Read more articles by Sean Cockerham



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals