Election 2012

Mark Randall / MCT

Florida Governor Rick Scott, left, speaks on Aug. 29, 2012, as Hurricane Isaac exacts its toll. Looking on is Melissa Meeker, Executive Director of the South Florida Water Management District, which provided a tour of the damaged areas.

0 comments | Print

Fla. Gov. Scott wants state reimbursed for port dredging project

Published: Friday, Mar. 29, 2013 - 4:05 am
Last Modified: Monday, Apr. 1, 2013 - 9:42 am

President Barack Obama will use the construction cranes and cargo containers at PortMiami as a backdrop Friday to speak about boosting the economy through investments in ports, roads and bridges.

But as the seaport dusted off its welcome mat Thursday, Florida Gov. Rick Scott had a less inviting message for the president: Bring your checkbook.

The state kicked in $77 million two years ago to fund the port’s $180-million “deep dredge” project, which will allow Miami to accommodate larger cargo ships and create more than 30,000 new jobs. Now Florida wants its money back.

Scott called on Obama, who will be visiting South Florida for the first time since winning reelection in November, to reimburse the state.

“We’re certainly glad President Obama is coming to the port of Miami tomorrow, but he’s late to the party,” Scott told reporters in a conference call Thursday morning.

In the past three years, Scott said, Florida taxpayers have invested $425 million in seaport-related upgrades to improve international trade with Latin America and Asia and prepare for the expansion of the Panama Canal. Florida has 15 ports, including Key West, Tampa and Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale.

“We could not wait for the federal government to come to the table with their share of the project,” Scott said.

The Republican governor also wants the feds to reimburse Florida for $38 million in improvements to make it easier for ships to navigate JaxPort, the Jacksonville seaport.

The White House responded by noting that it funded a $340 million loan to help finance Miami’s port tunnel project and a $23 million grant to restore freight rail service between PortMiami and the Florida East Coast Railway.

The White House also placed the dredging project to deepen the port to 50 from 42 feet on a list of fast-tracked seaport improvements, guaranteeing an expediting permitting process — though in practice, the project had already cleared all regulatory hurdles and survived a lawsuit from environmentalists.

“The President believes that the Port of Miami can enhance the competitiveness of workers and businesses throughout the region and in the nation as a whole,” Joanna Rosholm, a White House spokeswoman, said in a statement.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is expected to award the project to a contractor in the next two months, Port Director Bill Johnson said, with construction planned to begin this summer. The county has already reinforced the port wharves along the channel to withstand the dredging.

Johnson lobbied for federal funding for the project years before Scott and state lawmakers stepped in. Miami-Dade is covering the remainder of the cost.

Once the dredge is completed, Miami will be able to double its container movement and 33,000 direct and indirect jobs will be created, said Johnson, who is also president of the Florida Ports Council.

On the call with reporters, he praised Scott but was more conciliatory in his remarks toward the White House.

“What I’m pleased to see is a strengthening relationship with Washington,” Johnson said. “The United States as a whole needs to move forward, and Congress really needs to step up.”

Scott, who is up for re-election next year, has made port funding a cornerstone of his job creation efforts in the state.

Obama’s visit may be a good sign for the future, Johnson said.

“We’ve obviously caught the attention of the administration, of the White House,” he said.

Miami Herald staff writer Mimi Whitefield contributed, as did Steve Bousquet of the Herald/Times Tallahassee bureau and McClatchy White House Correspondent Lesley Clark.

Read more articles by Patricia Mazzei



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals