0 comments | Print

Minority owner won't bid for Kings

Published: Saturday, Mar. 30, 2013 - 12:00 am | Page 2B
Last Modified: Thursday, Apr. 4, 2013 - 12:35 pm

Sacramento Kings minority owner John Kehriotis said Friday he has pulled the plug on his effort to put together an investment team to bid for control of the team.

Kehriotis, who owns 12 percent of the team, had said he hoped to assemble financing for a back-up offer to the deal the team's majority partners, the Maloofs, recently signed with a Seattle group. His plan was to keep the team in Sacramento.

"One of my key investors bounced out," he said. "So we are not going forward."

Another group backed by Mayor Kevin Johnson, however, submitted a bid to buy the team last month, and will go to New York with the mayor on Wednesday to make a case to the NBA for being allowed to buy the team and keep it in Sacramento. Representatives from Seattle will also be there to answer league questions about their bid for the team.

By Friday evening, the mayor's www.herewebuy.org website registered 8,853 pledges from Sacramento area residents to buy season tickets if the Kings remain in town. Johnson has said he hopes to go to New York next week with 10,000 pledges.

Meanwhile, a Sacramento bankruptcy court trustee officially filed papers with the court Friday informing it he had reached a deal earlier this week with Chris Hansen, a member of the Seattle-based group, Hansen, to sell him a 7 percent share of the team for $15.1 million. Those shares belong to Sacramento businessman Bob Cook, who is in bankruptcy. The trustee, David Flemmer, said the Hansen bid was the only serious offer he received.

Four current team minority owners, however, have 15 days to match the offer, under a "right of first opportunity" provision. Flemmer indicated he informed the minority partners of the sale on Wednesday via overnight mail.

Two of the minority partners have told The Bee they will consider matching the Seattle purchase price. Two others could not be reached.

Johnson said earlier this week he was aware of the sale of the 7 percent shares, and would make a countermove to stop that sale. He declined to say what he planned. On Friday, a spokesman for Johnson again declined comment on what that move would be or when it might happen.

Call The Bee's Tony Bizjak, (916) 321-1059. Follow him on Twitter @tonybizjak.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more articles by Tony Bizjak



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals