0 comments | Print

Traded quarterback McCoy says he doesn't hold a grudge against Browns

Published: Tuesday, Apr. 2, 2013 - 1:00 am
Last Modified: Wednesday, Apr. 3, 2013 - 7:49 am

Former Browns quarterback Colt McCoy faced questions about whether he received a fair shake in Cleveland, the infamous concussion he suffered two years ago and the trade that sent him to the San Francisco 49ers earlier this week.

McCoy acknowledged some of the memories are difficult for him to discuss, but he said he's not holding a grudge against the Browns.

"I have no hard feelings - I know that's probably a shock for some people to hear that," McCoy said Tuesday during a conference call held by the 49ers. . . . "Hopefully this is a better fit for me and a great fit for the city of Cleveland because at the end of the day, they deserve a winner, and I'll always be grateful for my time there."

On Monday, the Browns traded McCoy and a sixth-round draft pick (No. 173 overall) to the 49ers in exchange for one selection in the fifth round (No. 164) and another in the seventh (No. 227).

McCoy, who's set to make $1.5 million in the fourth and final year of his rookie contract, became expendable last week when the Browns signed Jason Campbell to push Brandon Weeden, who's in line to retain his job as the team's starting quarterback.

So did McCoy tell his agent, David Dunn, he wanted to be traded?

"I just told him that I wanted what's best," McCoy said.

McCoy, 26, said he didn't want to offer an opinion about whether he got a fair shake. The Browns drafted Weeden 22nd overall last year and sent McCoy to the bench with a record of 6-15 as a starter.

"There were some very positive, high moments there and there were also some low times," said McCoy, whom the Browns drafted in the third round in 2010. "It was unfortunate kind of the way it all went down and ended, but I have no hard feelings toward those guys. I wish them nothing but the best."

McCoy also said he's "definitely over" the season-ending concussion he received in 2011 - former Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison used his helmet to blast McCoy in the face mask. A huge controversy ensued because the Browns allowed McCoy to re-enter the game without testing him for a concussion on the sideline.

"I don't think anyone would intentionally put someone out there to harm them more," he said. "As a competitor, you always want to play."

Read more articles by NATE ULRICH



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals