Photos Loading
previous next
  • Alvaro Barrientos / AP Photo

    Spanish newspapers feature front page coverage of Spain's Princess Cristina de Borbon and her summoning to court as a suspect in a corruption case, in Pamplona northern Spain, Thursday, April 4, 2013. Spain’s foreign minister said Thursday there was “enormous concern” within the government over the naming of one of the king’s daughters as a suspect in a corruption case.

  • Manu Fernandez / AP Photo

    Inaki Urdangarin, the Duke of Palma, and husband of Spain's Princess Cristina, arrives to his house in Barcelona, Spain, Thursday, April 4, 2013. Spain’s foreign minister said Thursday there was “enormous concern” within the government over the naming of one of the king’s daughters as a suspect in a corruption case. A Spanish court has named the king's daughter Princess Cristina Wednesday April 3, 2013, as a suspect in an alleged corruption case involving her husband, and the court has announced that it will call her for questioning.

  • Manu Fernandez / AP Photo

    Spain's Princess Cristina walks toward her office in Barcelona, Spain, Friday, April 5, 2013. Spain’s foreign minister said Thursday there was “enormous concern” within the government over the naming of one of the king’s daughters as a suspect in a corruption case. A Spanish court has named the king's daughter Princess Cristina Wednesday April 3, 2013, as a suspect in an alleged corruption case involving her husband, and the court has announced that it will call her for questioning.

  • Manu Fernandez / AP Photo

    Spain's Princess Cristina walks toward her office in Barcelona, Spain, Friday, April 5, 2013. Spain’s foreign minister said Thursday there was “enormous concern” within the government over the naming of one of the king’s daughters as a suspect in a corruption case. A Spanish court has named the king's daughter Princess Cristina Wednesday April 3, 2013, as a suspect in an alleged corruption case involving her husband, and the court has announced that it will call her for questioning.

  • Alvaro Barrientos / AP Photo

    A man reads a Spanish newspaper bearing a photograph of Spain's Princess Cristina de Borbon, a daughter of Spanish King Juan Carlos, in Pamplona, northern Spain, Thursday, April 4, 2013. Spain’s foreign minister said Thursday there was “enormous concern” within the government over the naming of one of the king’s daughters as a suspect in a corruption case.

  • Manu Fernandez / AP Photo

    Spain's Princess Cristina walks toward her office in Barcelona, Spain, Friday, April 5, 2013. Spain’s foreign minister said Thursday there was “enormous concern” within the government over the naming of one of the king’s daughters as a suspect in a corruption case. A Spanish court has named the king's daughter Princess Cristina Wednesday April 3, 2013, as a suspect in an alleged corruption case involving her husband, and the court has announced that it will call her for questioning.

  • Manu Fernandez / AP Photo

    A police officer stands in front of the house of Spain's Princess Cristina and Inaki Urdangarin, the Duke of Palma, after Urdangarin drove into the garage in Barcelona, Spain, Thursday, April 4, 2013. Spain’s foreign minister said Thursday there was “enormous concern” within the government over the naming of one of the king’s daughters as a suspect in a corruption case. A Spanish court has named the king's daughter Princess Cristina Wednesday April 3, 2013, as a suspect in an alleged corruption case involving her husband, and the court has announced that it will call her for questioning.

0 comments | Print

Spanish princess' court hearing delayed by judge

Published: Friday, Apr. 5, 2013 - 6:54 am

A judge investigating suspected fraud who had subpoenaed the Spanish king's daughter postponed her testimony after prosecutors appealed the subpoena on Friday.

Princess Cristina had been ordered to testify April 27 at a court on the island of Mallorca by Judge Jose Castro.

Castro delayed the hearing after prosecutors argued there is insufficient evidence of her involvement in an alleged plot to embezzle public money. He did not set a new hearing date.

The court summons is a first for a member of the king's immediate family.

The investigation centers on whether the 47-year-old princess' husband, Inaki Urdangarin, and his former business partner took advantage of their royal connections to funnel about 5 million euros ($6.4 million) in public funds via the nonprofit Noos Institute they ran into private businesses they also controlled.

A panel of judges of the provincial court of the Balearic Islands, where the case is being investigated, must now rule on the appeal. The process could take weeks.

Should the appeal be turned down, the princess will be defended by Miquel Roca, a prominent lawyer and former Catalan politician. Roca, 72, was one of seven "fathers" (writers) of the Spanish Constitution, in force since 1978, and member of Parliament for almost 20 years.

Castro said in court documents on Wednesday that the princess was a board member on two of her husband's companies and there was evidence she was aware that he had used her royal status and connections in making deals.

He said both Urdangarin and the princess had benefited equally from those deals and that the princess could be considered an accomplice.

Urdangarin, 45, has already been questioned twice by Castro since the probe began two years ago.

Castro argued that the princess had to be questioned for his investigation to be complete and also to show that justice treats everyone equally.

Although no one in the case has so far been charged with a crime, Cristina now joins her husband and his partner in being named as a person officially under suspicion of involvement in corruption.

This is another blow to the royal household, which has been through a torrid time in recent months.

For decades King Juan Carlos was largely admired for having shepherded Spain from a military dictatorship under Gen. Francisco Franco to a modern democracy.

The monarchy's fortunes began a sharp decline last year when it was revealed that the 75-year-old king broke his hip while on an unannounced luxurious African safari to hunt elephants at a time when ordinary Spaniards were suffering a recession, sky-high unemployment and government-imposed austerity measures.

Juan Carlos has appeared frail in recent months and in March he had surgery for herniated discs in his lower spine - his fourth operation in a year.

Urdangarin is a former professional handball player and an Olympic medalist. The deals he and his business partner brokered included organizing seminars and sports events as a tourism lure. However, some events were allegedly charged for but never took place or were charged at unusually high rates.

The judge recently set joint bail of 8.2 million euros ($10.5 million) for Urdangarin and former business partner Diego Torres. Bail has not been paid and the court has now begun a process to freeze property and other assets.

The royal family last year sidelined Urdangarin from all official royal activities, and has removed him from the family website.

Read more articles by HAROLD HECKLE



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals