0 comments | Print

49ers' Davis rewarded with five-year deal

Published: Friday, Apr. 5, 2013 - 1:00 am

Right tackle Anthony Davis, who's become a sturdy bookend on the 49ers' touted offensive line, has received a five-year, $37.295million contract extension through 2019, a league source confirmed.

Davis, 23, has started every game since the 49ers selected him 11th overall in the 2010 draft out of Rutgers. His extension includes $17million in guarantees.

"Anthony is a very hard working, dedicated and talented young player who has earned the respect of our entire organization," general manager Trent Baalke said in a release confirming Davis' deal.

Davis' is the latest homegrown product to receive a long-term commitment, following the likes of linebackers NaVorro Bowman and Patrick Willis, defensive tackle Ray McDonald, left tackle Joe Staley and tight end Vernon Davis.

"Having already made significant strides early in his career, Anthony is just beginning to realize his full potential," Baalke said. "We look forward to watching him achieve even greater results in the years to come."

Davis received last season's Bobb McKittrick Award, given annually to the team's offensive lineman who best exemplifies the dedication, excellence and commitment of the late assistant coach.

Davis hinted about his extension in a tweet on Thursday night: "Just checked something off my bucket list."

Davis hasn't been selected yet to a Pro Bowl but did earn alternate status last season, when the 49ers won their second straight NFC West title and reached Super Bowl XLVII.

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan called Davis one of the league's premier right tackles before the 49ers' Sept.30 shutout win. Said Ryan: "You've got a guy who's got all the athleticism you look for: a power player, he finishes, he's good in pass protection and a tremendous athlete."

Running back Frank Gore echoed similar praise for Davis: "He always had the 'dogness' in him. I knew he was going to be all right his rookie year because of how mean and nasty he was."

Davis and left guard Mike Iupati are two of only four players from the NFL's 2010 draft class to start every game since then. The others are Jacksonville Jaguars defensive tackle Tyson Alualu, a Cal product, and Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas.

The 49ers started the same five offensive linemen in every game last season, and they earned the Madden Most Valuable Protectors award as the NFL's top offensive line, as selected by Hall of Fame coach John Madden.

Read more articles by CAM INMAN



About Comments

Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com

Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

• Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.

hide comments
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older



Find 'n' Save Daily DealGet the Deal!

Local Deals