SAO PAULO -- Brazil's federal prosecutor's office has asked police to investigate allegations that former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was involved in the massive cash-for-votes scheme in Congress that led to the conviction of several of his closest aides.
The prosecutor's office said in a brief statement posted on its website Friday night that its request for a federal police investigation stems from testimony given in September by businessman Marcos Valerio that Silva approved the monthly payout scheme and used cash from it for personal expenses while in office.
Valerio was sentenced to more than 40 years in prison and fined $1.3 million for being what the Supreme Court called the operator of the scheme that gave legislators cash handouts in return for their support of Silva's policies after he took office in 2003.
Phone calls to Silva's office in Sao Paulo went unanswered.
No allegations connected to the corruption case have ever stuck to Silva, who has always denied wrongdoing.
Along with Valerio, the Supreme Court last year convicted Silva's once-powerful former chief of staff, Jose Dirceu, of racketeering and of leading the vote-buying scheme in Congress. He was sentenced to nearly 11 years in prison. Twenty-two other figures, including politicians, aides, and bankers, were convicted on various charges. Twelve other defendants in the case were absolved of committing any crimes.
Valerio's allegations against Silva represented the first time one of the defendants in the corruption trial has told prosecutors the former leader was involved.
The scandal is known in Brazil as the "mensalao," or big monthly allowance, for the sums of up to $10,000 handed over to politicians. It came to light in 2005. The case has done little to tarnish the reputation of Silva, who left office after two four year terms on Jan. 1, 2011, with an 87 percent approval rating and near-mythical status as Brazil's first working class president and one whose policies lifted millions out of poverty.
What You Should Know About Comments on Sacbee.com
Sacbee.com is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)
Here are some rules of the road:
Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "Report Abuse" link to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.
Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.
Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.
Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand.
Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.
Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.
Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.
Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.
Don't flag other users' comments just because you don't agree with their point of view. Please only flag comments that violate these guidelines.
You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "Report Abuse" link to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at feedback@sacbee.com. Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.
If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them.
About Comments
Reader comments on Sacbee.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "Report Abuse" link below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.