The Sacramento-Seattle fight over the Kings basketball team will last at least into next week.
National Basketball Association officials said this afternoon the league has postponed this week's planned decision on whether or not to permit the team to be sold to a Seattle group.
Spokesman Tim Frank confirmed a report by Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn that the league's Board of Governors, which meets Thursday and Friday, will not vote. League officials did not immediately state a reason for the postponement. NBA Commissioner David Stern hinted at a possible delay two weeks ago, when he told reporters the long-awaited decision might not come at the Board of Governors meeting in New York.
The news came minutes after the Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said his investment team is ready to submit a bid to buy the team that it believes can win favor with both the NBA and the Maloof family.
Speaking at a Tuesday press conference that resembled a pep rally, Johnson said Sacramento's private investment group has done everything it needs to do to offer a full team purchase offer and arena deal for league consideration this week in New York.
The mayor said the Sacramento group's bid will be ready by the time two league committees meet tomorrow to review the Sacramento-Seattle situation. He said he had not heard the news about a postponement.
"We've done what we said we're going to do," he said. "It's in their hands."
Asked if the Sacramento bid will match the increased offer Seattle's Chris Hansen announced Friday night, Johnson said "I don't think that was our focus.
"The last ditch effort by the Chris Hansen group, he has his prerogative to do that. We felt we made good on what we said we are going to do. I think the NBA and the Maloofs are comfortable with that."
A spokesman for the Maloof family declined comment on whether his group has been involved in vetting the Sacramento offer.
However, several members of the Sacramento group said their lawyers have been in daily contact with NBA attorneys and the Maloof family attorneys to work on details of what has been described as a "back-up" bid to the existing Seattle deal to buy the team.
Hansen has announced he has a deal with the Maloofs to buy their controlling interest of the team for a price that values the team at $550 million, an NBA record price. Hansen's group upped their offer Friday night from a $525 million valuation, just hours after the Sacramento group announced it was prepared to match the $525 million offer.
Call The Bee's Tony Bizjak, (916) 321-1059. Follow him on Twitter @tonybizjak.