A guide for what you need to buy, read or consume to enhance your recreation and travel experience
Clif Bar Sierra Trail Mix bar
Tired of the same old flavors of Clif Bars when you're out mountain biking or trail running? Want something a little more nutritious, less a candy bar? The Sierra Trail Mix bar, Clif's newest flavor, is an enticing mix of protein and fiber that actually tastes good, with a blend of peanuts, raisins, chocolate and other organic ingredients. A bonus: They use Rainforest Alliance Certified cocoa for the chocolate.
Energems energy candies
$8.79 (three boxes); http://energems.net
As an alternate to slurping down viscous Gu packets or gumming gelatinous cubes of quick carbs, a new, hard-coated energy candy with "a special blend" (B vitamins, mucho caffeine and other "proprietary" ingredients) has hit stores. It certainly packs a wallop, promising that "One box of Energems has comparable energy boost to three 8-ounce cans of a leading energy drink." After eating just one chocolate and peanut butter candy, 15 calories each, you start to feel the buzz for good or ill.
"What Tree Is That?" Booklet from Arbor Day Foundation
$5 donation; http://arborday.org.
You can support a good cause and learn about trees is that an oak or a bay? by purchasing an identification guide that tells you everything you need to know, from leaf to trunk, about trees. You can buy the, uh, dead-tree print version or get the e-version online.
Europe's 10 Strangest Tourist Attractions
Forget the Louvre. Smarter Travel's Caroline Morse goes off the beaten path in Europe for sightseeing.
1. Gruselkabinett (underground air-raid shelter), Berlin
2. Old Operating Room Museum and Herb Garret, London
3. Peristal Singum (underground maze), Berlin
4. Medieval Crime Museum, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany
5. Kunstkamera (museum of deformities), St. Petersburg, Russia
6. Capuchin Catacombs (mummies in a monastery), Palermo, Italy
7. Edinburgh Vaults (haunted), Edinburgh, Scotland
8. Galleries of Paleontology and Comparative Anatomy, Paris
9. Dennis Severs' House (18th century living preserved), London
10. Electric Ladyland: The First Museum of Fluorescent Art, Amsterdam
Novelist Joyce Carol Oates (@JoyceCarolOates): "Most anxious part of travel is packing beforehand. Actual trip is anticlimactic. Mistakes are always made, & not for the first time."
Compiled by Sam McManis, firstname.lastname@example.org