An apartment fire at 22nd and U streets Thursday morning sent smoke blowing through midtown Sacramento.
Two upstairs bedrooms in a 1,000-square-foot apartment were scorched, according to fire officials. A cat died in the fire.
Three trucks and six engines responded to the fire about 7:30 a.m. The apartment was home to two residents an elderly woman and her husband, said Chris Costamagna, Sacramento Fire Department battalion chief.
The husband was home alone at the time of the fire, but managed to get out of the apartment unhurt, he said.
Neighbors, seeing smoke billowing from the window, called 911.
Call The Bee's Janelle Bitker, (916) 321-1027. Follow her in Twitter @JanelleBitker.