• Tour Capay Farms and enjoy hands-on harvesting opportunities and a farm talk, at their customer appreciation day. 11 a.m.-2 p.m. 23800 Highway 16, Capay. Free. (530) 796-4111.
• Burlap and Bees Interiors Market Days will feature furniture, home decor and garden merchandise. 10 a.m.-8 p.m. 360 Riley St., Folsom. Free. (916) 790-2337.
TuesdayAug. 13, 20, 27
• Anyone interested in knitting and crocheting, even beginners, is welcome to join Nonis Knit-Wits. This is not an instructional class, but assistance is available. 1:30 p.m. Belle Cooledge Library, 5600 South Land Park Dr., Sacramento. Free. (916) 264-2920.
• The Sacramento Tree Foundation will conduct Mulch Madness. Care for the trees of McKinley Park by applying mulch rings around the trees. Meet near the basketball court, 6:30-8 p.m. , 3700 H St., Sacramento. Free. (916) 974-4333.
WednesdayAug. 14, 28
• All ages and skills are welcome to work on crochet and knitting projects. This is not an instructional class, but some assistance will be provided. 6 p.m. Fair Oaks Library, 11601 Fair Oaks Blvd., Fair Oaks. Free. (916) 264-2920.
Friday, Aug. 23, 30
Anyone interested in teaching and learning crochet, knitting or needle work is welcome to attend Knitwits. 11 a.m. Carmichael Library, 5605 Marconi Ave., Carmichael. Free. (916) 264-2920.
Next Saturday, Aug. 17
• Learn about plants from Australia and New Zealand that thrive in Mediterranean Climate while touring the collections. Park at Visitor Parking Lot 5. 9:30 a.m. UC Davis Arboretum Wyatt Deck, UC Davis campus, One Shields Ave., Davis. Free. (530) 752-4880.
• The Tahoe Sierra Board of Realtors and Excellence in Education present the fifth annual Luxury Home Tour to benefit education. Explore six custom homes in Truckees Martis Camp. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. $40 advance; $45 day of event. (530) 550-7984. Tickets can be purchased online at www.ExinEd.org.
• Learn how low-income families can benefit from the Davis Housing Improvement and Solar Program and find out if you qualify. 1:30-2:30 p.m. Valente Room, Senior Center, 646 A. St., Davis. Free. (530) 217-6115.
Aug. 20, Sept. 23
• The Sacramento Tree Foundation will hold evening tree tours and tree care sessions with a certified arborist. Participants are encouraged to bring a tablet or smartphone. Learn how to identify trees, edit data, and a lot more using GreenprintMaps. 6:30 p.m. Shepard Garden and Art Center, 3330 McKinley Blvd., Sacramento. Free. (916) 974-4333.
• Learn about knitting and share your knowledge with others. All ages and skill levels welcome. 1 p.m. Arden-Dimick Library, 891 Watt Ave., Sacramento. Free. (916) 264-2920.
• Open sewing time for all quilters with help from the River City Quilters Guild. Bring your own equipment and supplies to work on your projects. Irons and ironing boards will be provided. 2 p.m. Belle Cooledge Library, 5600 South Land Park Drive, Sacramento. Free. (916) 264-2920.
• Learn about the origins and cultivations of Succulents, Nolinas, and Agaves. Park in Visitor Parking Lot 55. 10 a.m. Ruth Ridson Storer Garden, UC Davis campus, One Shields Ave., Davis. Free. (530) 752-4880.
• The Embroiderers Guild of America, Camellia Chapter, will meet to learn finishing techniques to give completed needlework a professional look. 7 p.m. SMUD, 6301 S St., Sacramento. Free. (916) 223-2751.
Classes and workshops
• The Master Food Preservers of El Dorado County will host a pressure canning workshop. 10 a.m.-Noon. El Dorado County Fairgrounds Board Room, 100 Placerville Dr., Placerville. Free. (530) 621-5506.
• The Kids Garden Club is a hands-on gardening opportunity for children ages 6-12. Noon. Colonial Heights Library, 4799 Stockton Blvd., Sacramento. Free. (916) 264-2920.
• Learn how to create a container garden that suits your needs with the El Dorado County Master Gardeners. 9 a.m.-noon. Veterans Memorial Building, 130 Placerville Dr., Placerville. Free. (530) 621-5512. Call to confirm location prior to attending.
• The University of California Cooperative Extension Central Sierra presents a free workshop to discuss the value of oaks and oak woodlands, the threats to California native oaks and ways to help preserve and care for them. 6-8 p.m. El Dorado County Veterans Memorial Building, 130 Placerville Drive, Placerville. To register: (530) 621-5528 (pre-registration is not required).
• Learn how to grow culinary herbs with the Yolo County Master Gardeners. 10 a.m.-noon. Arthur F. Turner Community Library, 1212 Merkley Ave., West Sacramento. Free. (916) 376-6465.
Next Saturday, Aug. 20
• The Master Food Preservers of El Dorado County will host a dehydrating and freezing workshop. 10 a.m.-Noon. El Dorado County Fairgrounds Board Room, 100 Placerville Dr., Placerville. Free. (530) 621-5506.