Containment advancing on American fire

Published: Saturday, Aug. 24, 2013 - 12:00 am | Page 2B
Last Modified: Tuesday, Sep. 3, 2013 - 2:29 pm

Nearly two weeks after it started, the American fire northeast of Foresthill was reported 66 percent contained Friday night with 21,189 acres burned.

Peter Frenzen, spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service, said crews had focused their efforts during the day on the northeast corner of the fire, where they conducted a burnout, or backfire, Thursday night.

Firefighters had to contend with heat created by the burnout as well as smoke blowing in their faces all day, but they reported good progress, he said.

Similar backfires were scheduled Friday night along 43 Road, as soon as wind shifted down canyon, Frenzen said.

He said area residents will continue to see smoke today, but it will be from the interior of the fire area and the burnout areas.

Crews also continued to work on the south end of the fire, near the Western States Trail. Frenzen said care had been taken to cause as little damage as possible to the trail when moving equipment in the area. Operations personnel, he said, reported the trail was in good shape.

As of Friday, 1,614 people were involved in the fire operation. Full containment is projected for Sept. 1.

Call The Bee's Cathy Locke, (916) 321-5287.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more articles by Cathy Locke



Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Sacramento Bee Jobs »
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older

TODAY'S CIRCULARS