Financial scams: How/Where to report them if you’ve been targeted

Published: Tuesday, Sep. 10, 2013 - 11:28 am
Last Modified: Tuesday, Sep. 10, 2013 - 11:34 am

Last week’s column on a new round of financial scams brought in calls from consumers who reported they’ve been hit, whether by a fake “property deed” notice, a phony Microsoft tech-support caller or an online spoof of an FBI warning.

For those who’ve been targeted, we wanted to share how/where to report these scams.

Generally, most financial fraud scams can be reported to the Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency. You can file a complaint online or by calling (877) FTC-HELP (or 877-382-4357)

If it’s an online-only scam, report it to the Internet Crime Complaint Center.

If your computer has been targeted by a fake FBI or Homeland Security email that threatens to lock up your computer, contact your Internet service provider or follow this advice from the Internet Crime Complaint Center.

Locally, if you’ve sent money or been financially defrauded by an online company, contact your local enforcement agency or the California Attorney General’s office.

Read more articles by Claudia Buck

Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by
Quick Job Search
Sacramento Bee Jobs »
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads


Price Range:
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older