CHEMICAL WEAPONS

Published: Wednesday, Sep. 11, 2013 - 9:09 pm
Last Modified: Thursday, Sep. 12, 2013 - 9:04 am

Re "Obama: Delay vote on Syria airstrikes" (Page A1, Sept 11): President Barack Obama spoke about the atrocity of chemical weapons and urged everyone to watch videos to see the horrific consequences so Americans would understand why we must enforce the no-chemical weapon treaty.

I have seen film of the destruction in Hiroshima, a photo of a child in Vietnam running from napalm, and pictures of buildings collapsing on thousands of innocent people. They were devastating horrible acts.

The only difference appears to be that chemical weapons don't destroy property. People are just as dead, no matter what the weapon. It's frightening that 2 percent of the nations have not signed the treaty prohibiting the use chemical weapons. But what about the other 98 percent. They are free to use, guns, cannons, missiles, bombs, airplanes, napalm, and rockets in war.

It is not the weaponry of war we should fear, but the evil behind the weaponry.

-- Patti Gantenbein, Carmichael

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.



Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Sacramento Bee Jobs »
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older

TODAY'S CIRCULARS