• Opponent: at Washington
• Time: 5:40 p.m.
• Line: 49ers by
• Records: 49ers 6-4, Redskins 3-7
• Radio: ESPN (play-by-play Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden color), 680, 1320
MATCHUP TO WATCH
Quarterback Colin Kaepernick vs. Redskins secondary
Opponents have been stacking the line of scrimmage against the 49ers running game and daring Kaepernick to beat them through the air. He hasn't. Kaepernick averages 168 passing yards this season, the lowest in the league for a regular starter. The Redskins defense, however, has not been as good as the previous two that Kaepernick has faced. Washington allows 275 passing yards a game and has given up 19 touchdown passes this year.
THREE KEYS TO GAME
• It often will fall to outside linebacker Aldon Smith to decide if Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III will hand off the ball or keep it himself. Griffin averaged 18 yards a carry in the first four weeks. His knee healthier, he's averaging 45.5 yards in the last six.
• Kapernick needs more help in the passing game. Tight end Vance McDonald has been unable to haul in catchable passes in the last two games. Receivers Mario Manningham and Jon Baldwin must be better targets as well.
• The 49ers' special teams continues to provide the offense with good scoring chances. But two big mistakes last week – allowing a long New Orleans kickoff return and a late hit on a punt returner – led to Saints' points. Those must be eliminated.
• Out: CB Tarell Brown (ribs), G Mike Iupati (knee), WR Quinton Patton (foot)
• Questionable: TE Garrett Celek (hamstring), WR Mario Manningham (knee), DT Ray McDonald (ankle)
• Probable: RB Frank Gore (ankle), QB Colin Kaepernick (back), DT Quinton Dial (ankle), LB Dan Skuta (foot), DT Justin Smith (shoulder)
• Out : TE Jordan Reed (concusion)
• Questionable: DE Stephen Bowen (knee), S Jose Gumbs (ankle), RB Darrel Young (hamstring)
• Probable: CB E.J. Biggers (knee), CB Josh Wilson (toe)
– Matthew Barrows