Elk Grove has withdrawn its application to expand its planning boundaries by 30 percent, pre-empting a formal rejection from a regional planning board.
At a special meeting Monday night, the City Council voted 5-0 to pull its application scheduled for a final vote next month by the Sacramento Local Agency Formation Commission. LAFCO voted 5-2 earlier this month to reject the application but still planned to make formal findings against the city’s growth next week.
Mayor Gary Davis said Elk Grove officials, realizing the proposal would fail, decided to spare everyone the trouble of preparing for and holding another meeting.
“I don’t think we’re going to re-apply anytime soon,” Davis said.
LAFCO Executive Director Peter Brundage said state law allows cities to withdraw applications at any time. Elk Grove had requested to expand its planning boundaries by 30 percent to the south. The city still would have had to receive further LAFCO approval for annexation to develop the area.
Call The Bee’s Brad Branan, (916) 321-1065. Follow him on Twitter @BradB_at_SacBee.