Reading time, two minutes ...
• Sundays showdown at Candlestick Park between the 49ers and Seahawks features two of the NFLs most exciting young quarterbacks. But while the 49ers Colin Kaepernick has been up and down, Seattles Russell Wilson is being mentioned as an MVP candidate. In Mondays surprisingly easy 34-7 victory over New Orleans, Wilson completed 22 of 30 passes for 310 yards and three touchdowns, and his passer rating of 108.5 is second only to Denvers Peyton Manning. Can Kap outplay Wilson this weekend? Sunday cant come soon enough.
• Last season, Bartolo Colon was the As ace, a Cy Young Award candidate after going 18-6 with a 2.65 ERA, and Grant Balfour was the stud in Oaklands bullpen, saving 38 games. But the past means little today. The As opted to replace Colon with Scott Kazmir, who went 10-9 for Cleveland, and Balfour with Jim Johnson, who saved 101 games for the Orioles the past two seasons. The shrewd As appear to have upgraded with both moves, especially considering Colon is 40 and Balfour is 35.
• Think you know everything about the 49ers? Check out 100 Things 49ers Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die, by Dan Brown, a reporter for the San Jose Mercury News. Some Davis folks may remember Brown, a 1992 UCD grad, from his stint as sports editor of the Enterprise when it had one of the best small-paper sports sections in the country. Brown will make an appearance at the Avid Reader on Second Street in Davis on Saturday at 1 p.m. He will be joined by Amy Gutierrez, a 1995 UC Davis grad and author of a childrens book, Smarty Martys Got Game. Yes, that Amy G, from Comcasts Giants TV broadcasts.
If youre building an NFL team, which quarterback would you most want?
• Colin Kaepernick
• Robert Griffin III
• Andrew Luck
• Cam Newton
• Russell Wilson
Vote above, or go to sacbee.com/sports
Does Jeff Kent deserve to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame?
• Yes, first ballot: 35%
• Yes, but not this year: 21%
• No, hes not a Hall of Famer: 44%
Total votes: 138