Nevada busing: The crime that followedLoading
  • Justin Brinsky
    Bused: Sacramento, June 2012
    In May 2012, a Las Vegas court found Justin Brinsky guilty of battery and disorderly conduct. He was given a suspended jail sentence, ordered to do community service and undertake impulse control counseling. Brinsky, who said he suffers from bipolar disorder, was bused from Rawson-Neal Psychiatric Hospital while still under court supervision, and when he didn't show up at subsequent court hearings, a judge issued warrants for his arrest. After arriving in Sacramento, he was arrested several times and charged with felony attempted robbery and felony attempted burglary, among other crimes. He awaits trial in the Sacramento County Main Jail, where deputies say he has attacked other inmates and officers. "It wasn't a bad hospital," he said of Rawson-Neal. "They held me quite a while. Then they they asked me where I wanted to get sent, and I was fine with it."
    Renee C. Byer |
  • Marc Berrier
    Bused: Seattle, May 2012
    Marc Berrier, who suffers from alcohol addiction, said he picked Seattle on a whim after faking mental illness to get off of the streets of Las Vegas. When Rawson-Neal staffers asked him to prove that he had a relative in Seattle, he said, he created a fictitious uncle with a fake telephone number. "I got a bus ticket that night," he said. Shortly after he arrived in Seattle, police arrested him at a park for assault after he objected to officers taking away his beer and dumping it in the trash, according to court records. Berrier now lives at a homeless mission in Seattle and is working to overcome alcoholism and improve his life.
    Renee C. Byer |
  • Cletus Melancon
    Bused: New Orleans, May 2011
    Cletus Melancon was arrested for assault a year after Rawson-Neal bused him to New Orleans. Melancon, who said he has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and has been in and out of psychiatric facilities for much of his life, was arrested in Las Vegas in December 2010 for allegedly possessing marijuana with intent to sell. He was arrested again in February 2011 in a domestic violence case. Both charges are felonies. He was admitted to Rawson-Neal in May 2011, while still awaiting trial on those charges. "I woke up strapped to a bed. The next day, they asked me where I was from and whether I wanted a ticket back home" Melancon said by phone from his home in Louisiana. "They gave me referrals for medication, and put me on a bus. I had nothing to eat. Not a dollar to my name." Within months of his busing, a judge in Las Vegas issued a bench warrant for his arrest. The cases against him in Vegas remain active. In December 2012, Melancon was arrested again, this time in New Orleans. He forced his way into the house of a girlfriend's family, according to a crime report from the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office, and "allegedly choked and slapped the victim and destroyed her cellphone and house phone."
  • Reginald Mangrum
    Bused: Phoenix, March 2012
    Reginald Mangrum is a long-time Las Vegas resident who allegedly went on a crime spree after Rawson-Neal bused him to Arizona in 2012. Mangrum, who suffers from schizophrenia, according to his mother, spent years in Vegas before his last trip to Rawson-Neal. He studiously registered to vote whenever he moved in the city, logging registrations between 2004 and 2011, according to LexisNexis, a research firm. He picked up a drug arrest in Las Vegas in 2006 and a trespassing arrest in 2011, court records show. Rawson-Neal bused Mangrum to Phoenix in March 2012. His mom, who lives in Nevada, said she didn't know how the destination was chosen. "He's got nobody in Phoenix," said June Mangrum. "No friends. No family. That's why I don't understand why they would send him there." In the ensuing months, Mangrum was arrested multiple times in Arizona, court records show. Charges against him included shoplifting, sexual indecency, drug crimes, and trespassing. June Mangrum said she spent months looking for her son before learning that he is now in an Arizona state prison serving an eight-month sentence.
  • Musaalih Kerr Bused: Detroit, September 2010
    Musaalih Kerr's mom said she pleaded with Rawson-Neal to treat her son instead of busing him to Michigan, but that hospital officials bused him anyway. Kerr, who was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia as a teenager, according to his mom, served prison time in Michigan for assault and resisting arrest before he went to Vegas. He landed at Rawson-Neal, which put him on a bus to Detroit. "I told them not to release him because he was too sick," said his mother, Peggie Jarvis. "But by the time I got to Vegas they had put him on a bus." Kerr "got kicked off of the bus" in Des Moines, Iowa, and was detained by police when he was found naked on the streets, his mother said. He was admitted to a psychiatric hospital there, and later to a facility in Chicago. Last month, Kerr was arrested in Macomb County, Mich., on probation violations, and remains in jail, records show. "America is locking up the mentally ill, because there is no place for them," Jarvis said.
  • Mark Hesselgrave
    Bused: Phoenix, February 2013
    Mark Hesselgrave was arrested in the early 1990s near Phoenix for strangling his wife, Dorothy. He spent the next 20 years in prison and was released in October 2012. Hesselgrave said he had trouble finding work in Arizona after his release so he decided to try his luck in Nevada. A few days into his trip, he said, “I stepped in front of a cab – tried to kill myself.” He ended up in Rawson-Neal, which bused him back to Phoenix. Hesselgrave headed to Williston, ND, and three months later was arrested for repeatedly stabbing his roommate. He remains in a North Dakota jail awaiting trial for attempted murder.
  • Christopher Dustrude Bused: San Diego, January 2011
    Christopher Dustrude, who was convicted of having sex with children in 2004, was arrested in Las Vegas in January 2011 for failing to register as a sex offender. With the criminal case against him still outstanding, Dustrude wound up in Rawson-Neal. On January 26, 2011, Rawson-Neal bused him to San Diego, bus receipts show. Citing law enforcement, media reports said Dustrude arrived in San Diego that same day. A citywide manhunt began. San Diego Crime Stoppers put out an alert. Local TV stations picked up the story. U.S. marshals started hunting for him. They found Dustrude at a San Diego psychiatric hospital in early February. "I got calls from families out of Ponto Beach, where he had approached them, made sexual advances to them and their kids," Deputy U.S. Marshal Toni Wheetley said in a TV interview at the time.
  • Joseph Ceretti
    Bused: Des Moines, Iowa, May 2012
    Joseph D. Ceretti killed Eric Naylor in November 2012, about six months after Rawson-Neal bused him to Des Moines, Iowa. He pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in September of the following year. Ceretti has spent much of his life in Las Vegas and Des Moines, and has a criminal history in both places. He has been diagnosed, he said, with schizoaffective disorder, depression and anxiety, and has been to Rawson-Neal multiple times over the years. "They haven't done nothing for me," he said. "There's no treatment going on there."
  • William "Billy" Busche
    Bused: Knoxville, Tenn., July 2012
    William Busche, who said he suffers from bipolar disorder, was one of five patients bused by Rawson-Neal on July 12, 2012. Busche said he suffered a mental break when he was living in Las Vegas, landing him at the state mental hospital. "I really wanted to stay in Vegas," he told The Bee. "But I was out of money and basically homeless ... They told me the bus ticket (to Knoxville) was a one-shot deal, so I took it." "I thought it was pretty nice of them to offer it," he added. "But they didn't really treat me or anything." About a month after he took a Greyhound to his home state, Busche set off fireworks in a Dunkin' Donuts shop and grocery store in the small town of Athens, Tenn. Police said Busche told him that the Lord instructed him to blow up the stores, according to media reports at the time. "I was not in a good place,"recalled Busche. "I didn't hurt anyone. But I ended up in jail." He has since been released, is living in Illinois and "maintaining," he said. "I'm trying to get hold of my bipolar, and I haven't freaked out on anyone in awhile."
  • Nevada busing profiles
    The Rawson-Neal Psychiatric Hospital in Las Vegas

    Martin Roller
    Bused: Sacramento, July 2010
    Martin Roller had a long rap sheet. Between 1989 and 2005, he was arrested in Sacramento on charges of driving while intoxicated, domestic violence, burglary, being drunk in public, possessing burglary tools and various drug crimes. Between 2005 and 2008, Las Vegas police arrested Roller three times, including an arrest for possession of a stolen vehicle. In July 2010, Rawson-Neal bused Roller back to Sacramento, and the list of arrests continued to grow. In January 2011, he was arrested for allegedly assaulting a police officer. He was also charged with two counts of resisting a police officer. The next month, he was found dead in the American River. "He may have tried to kill himself," said his former wife, Patricia Roller. "I guess we will never know."
    Phillip Reese
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by
Quick Job Search
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads


Price Range:
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older BeeBuzz Points Find n Save