• Shriners Hospital for Children. The 2013 Debutante Ball will be Sunday at the Sheraton Grand Sacramento, with festivities beginning at 5:30 p.m. More than a perennial holiday event, the Deb Ball serves as a fundraiser for Shriners Hospital for Children. The 2012 ball raised $40,000 for the hospital. The 2013 debs and their university/college sites are: Carolina Marie Brown, Southern Methodist University; Kaitlyn Ford Cozens, University of Michigan; Virginia Anne Doherty, Loyola Marymount University; Ruth Ann Kaplan, Whittier College; Marisa Elena Kolokotronis, Brown University; Payton Catherine Ksidakis, Texas Christian University; Darci Sydney Naftulin, University of Colorado; Marea Newell, Bryn Mawr College; Casey Joy Parish, University of Alabama; Haylee Michelle Rademann, Washington and Lee University; Madelyn Victoria Rollofson, University of Arizona; Lauren Nicole Schaefer, Texas Christian University; Claire Louise Schauer, California State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo; Caroline Pauly Stauffer, Academy of Art University in San Francisco; Sophia Jiahn Weber, University of Washington; and Alexandria Meaghen Whaley, St. Mary’s College. Sharing the chair responsibilities are Margaret McKinnon and Christine Skreden. Inquiries may be directed to McKinnon at (916) 765-1060; firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Blue Christmas for Kids. The fourth annual all-ages concert will be from 2 to 6:30 p.m. Sunday Dec. 22 at Harlow’s, 2708 J St. On the program will be Sacramento Blues Revue, Jimmy Pailer & the Prophets, Tribe of the Red Horse and Achilles Wheel. Special feature will be the raffle for a Fender guitar, compliments of Skip’s Music. With its new location, Blue Christmas will have room for more listeners of all ages. Basic tickets are $20. Proceeds benefit Blues in the Schools (BITS), Drummers with Education (DWE), Wind Youth Services and more. Visit www.SacBluesRevue.com.
• UC Davis Children’s Hospital. The annual toy drive will begin today and continue through Monday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. “Anyone can make the season brighter for a child staying in our hospital this holiday season,” said Diana Sundberg, child life and creative arts therapy manager. “We’re thankful for the continued generosity and support from our community.” The gifts will go to hospitalized children as well as children in the pediatric emergency department, outpatient clinics, UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center and the UC Davis MIND Institute. If there are extras, the toys/gifts will be used in the playrooms and waiting area throughout the year. Only new items will be accepted. Donors may drop off donations at the circular driveway of the UC Davis MIND Institute at 2825 50th St. Visit http://children.ucdavis.edu.
• ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) Association. The Lou Gehrig Roseville Run for the Cure will lead off the new year Jan. 4 with Sculpture Park in Roseville as the gathering place. Race day time schedule: 7 to 8:30 a.m., same-day registration; 8:30 a.m., start of the free kids fun run; 9 a.m., start of 10K; 9:05 a.m., start of the 5K. The event will include music, awards, raffle by bib number and complimentary refreshments.
The Miners Ravine course is described as beautiful, yet challenging, through open spaces and wetland areas. Pre-registration (through Jan. 3) is $30; race day registration is $40. Visit www.alssac.org.
• Sacramento Zoo. Docent volunteers are being sought by Sacramento Zoo with applications available until Jan. 2. Zoo docents, attired in yellow shirts, share animal information and answer visitor questions. Volunteers give more than 6,000 hours to the zoo each year. Docents are volunteer educators who must be 18. A required nine-week mini-course in zoology will run every Saturday through mid-March. For more information and to receive an application, call (916) 808-5888.
• American Association of University Women, Sacramento Branch. Two scholarships of $1,500 for the academic year are being offered for women 25 years or older who are working on their first baccalaureate degree and enrolled at American River College, Cosumnes River College, Folsom Lake College, Sacramento City College and California State University, Sacramento. Contact Cherril Peabody at email@example.com or (916) 973-0821. The deadline for applying is Feb. 15.
Gloria Glyer focuses on events raising funds for charity. Email announcements four weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Gloria Glyer, The Bee, P.O. Box 15779, Sacramento CA 95852 or call (530) 477-5331.