Choking victim's close call raises awareness

Published: Monday, Dec. 30, 2013 - 1:10 pm

Re "Janitor uses first-aid training rescue a choking student" (Page B2, Dec. 20): I applaud the quick response by Sean Ufland, who saved the life of a choking student. I recently had a choking incident while eating a fish sandwich. Those seated at my table had no idea I was choking because, not wanting to be a spectacle, I had turned away. By the time they realized I was in trouble, I was close to passing out. Luckily, when I sat up straight, the bite of sandwich dislodged enough for me to catch a minimal breath. It was a frightening incident for all of us. Now my message is that if you start to choke, let someone know immediately. Don't worry about being a spectacle. Time is of the essence.

-- Donna Hogue, Granite Bay

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.



Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Sacramento Bee Jobs »
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older

TODAY'S CIRCULARS