Re "Janitor uses first-aid training rescue a choking student" (Page B2, Dec. 20): I applaud the quick response by Sean Ufland, who saved the life of a choking student. I recently had a choking incident while eating a fish sandwich. Those seated at my table had no idea I was choking because, not wanting to be a spectacle, I had turned away. By the time they realized I was in trouble, I was close to passing out. Luckily, when I sat up straight, the bite of sandwich dislodged enough for me to catch a minimal breath. It was a frightening incident for all of us. Now my message is that if you start to choke, let someone know immediately. Don't worry about being a spectacle. Time is of the essence.
-- Donna Hogue, Granite Bay