Sacramento City Beat logo

News, insight and discussion on Sacramento and its neighborhoods

Photos Loading
previous next
  • Jose Luis Villegas / jvillegas@sacbee.com

    Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson during the Sacramento City Council meeting on Tuesday night, January 7, 2014.

  • AECOM and city of Sacramento

    A rendering of the proposed downtown arena released by AECOM and the city of Sacramento

  • AECOM and city of Sacramento / AECOM

    The proposed downtown arena would be built with a city subsidy estimated at $258 million.

  • Jose Luis Villegas / jvillegas@sacbee.com

    Mike Barnbaum photographs the artist renditions of the entertainment and sports complex during the Sacramento City Council meeting on Tuesday night, January 7, 2014.

  • Jose Luis Villegas / jvillegas@sacbee.com

    Bryan Wenter, of C-lll, representing US Bank speaks against the proposed eminent domain lawsuit to seize control of Macy's for new arena to the Sacramento City Council on Tuesday night, January 7, 2014.

  • Jose Luis Villegas / jvillegas@sacbee.com

    Bill Camp, Executive Secretary of the Sacramento Labor Council speaks for the proposed eminent domain lawsuit to seize control of Macy's for new arena to the Sacramento City Council on Tuesday night, January 7, 2014. Camp argued the jobs that would be created in the city would be a benefit to the region.

City of Sacramento files eminent domain lawsuit for arena land

Published: Thursday, Jan. 9, 2014 - 6:00 pm
Last Modified: Wednesday, Apr. 16, 2014 - 7:16 pm

The city of Sacramento filed an eminent domain lawsuit Thursday in Sacramento Superior Court that seeks to seize control of the former downtown Macy’s men’s clothing and furniture store for the development of a new arena.

The City Council on Tuesday approved the action by a 7-2 vote.

City officials said they have been unable to reach a deal with the property owners on a sale price since negotiations began last summer.

CalPERS, which owns the parcel, has said it does not object to the eminent domain suit. However, a firm negotiating the deal on behalf of U.S. Bank, which holds a ground lease on the building, has opposed the action.

The Sacramento Kings last week wired the city $4.3 million in anticipation of the city taking the eminent domain action. That amount was placed into an escrow account and is based on a third-party appraisal of the property.

A judge will have 60 days to rule on the case. If the judge rules in the city’s favor, the city could take possession of the property 30 days later. A jury will then determine the building’s sale price.

The building at 600 K St. covers more than half the footprint of the planned $448 million arena, as well as most of a planned practice facility and team offices for the Kings.


Call The Bee’s Ryan Lillis, (916) 321-1085. Read his City Beat blog at www.sacbee.com/citybeat.

Read more articles by Ryan Lillis



About City Beat

Ryan Lillis has covered the city of Sacramento, its 108 neighborhoods and its politicians since 2008. Prior to that, he covered crime at The Bee. A native of upstate New York, Lillis has a journalism degree from the University of California, Berkeley.

Contact reporter Ryan Lillis at rlillis@sacbee.com

City Beat Archives

Note: The City Beat blog switched blog platforms in September 2013. All posts after the switch are found here. Older posts are available using the list below.

Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Sacramento Bee Jobs »
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older

TODAY'S CIRCULARS