With the Winter Olympics officially opening a 17-day run Friday night – well, unless you count today’s events one day before the Opening Ceremonies – it’s time to offer our suggestions to make the Games more exciting.
• Team paintball biathlon: Instead of stopping and shooting rifles, cross-country skiing teams would compete against each other using paintball guns. As in paintball, if you get tagged, you’re out. The team with the most athletes left at the finish line is the winner.
• Speedskating derby: For those of you who still enjoy roller derby, how about teams of speedskaters competing on an oval banked ice track? Think about it – Joan Weston in her prime, skating around, through and over opponents.
• Pairs halfpipe: Sure, this event already is very exciting to watch, but doesn’t Shaun White win every time? We bet it would be harder for him if he had to team up with one or more other snowboarders and synchronize their routine.
• Surfing skeleton: OK, call us crazy, but we’d love to see these daredevils riding the small sleds down the track standing up, in a surfing position, rather than lying face down. How will anyone from this sport get a TV commercial if no one can see their faces? And we’d give more points for “hanging 10” and riding “goofy foot.”
• Snowballing: Participants would compete building snowballs as they roll them down a hill, with points based on the size of the snowball and the speed to the bottom. Points would be deducted if a snowball veered out of control and left the designated track area.
– Tom Couzens
What’s your favorite Winter Olympics sport?
• Figure skating
• Ice hockey
To vote, go to
Should scholarship signings be celebrated?
• Yes, it’s a major
• No, it’s become too much of a circus: 40%
• It doesn’t matter: 12%
Total votes: 164