Sacto911 blog logo

Propane leaking from cooking equipment identified as cause of Elk Grove house fire

Published: Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014 - 7:30 pm

Propane leaking from cooking equipment in a garage was identified as the cause of a fire that damaged an Elk Grove home Tuesday.

Cosumnes Fire Department crews responded at 2:48 p.m. to a report of a fire in the garage of a home in the 1800 block of Bastona Drive. The occupants told firefighters that they were inside the residence eating after cooking their meal in the garage. They heard an explosion in the garage and discovered the fire, according to a Fire Department news release.

The four occupants were able to safely evacuate the residence.

Fire investigators determined that the fire occurred when propane leaking from cooking equipment in the garage was likely ignited by the water heater. The home suffered an estimated $10,000 in damage.

Fire officials remind people to use only approved indoor cooking appliances when cooking inside a residence, including the garage. Camping equipment and barbecues should be used only outdoors in well-ventilated areas, away from other heat sources.


Call The Bee’s Cathy Locke, (916) 321-5287.

Read more articles by Cathy Locke



Connect with Sacto911

Sacto911 Archives

Note: The Sacto911 blog switched blog platforms in November 2013. All posts after the switch are found here. Older posts are available using the list below.


Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Sacramento Bee Jobs »
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older

TODAY'S CIRCULARS