Reading time, two minutes ...
• The results of our weekend poll were interesting, with 61 percent of the respondents saying Kings second-round draft pick Ray McCallum will have a better NBA career than first-round pick Ben McLemore. It’s far too early in their careers to know if that’s true, of course, but thinking about it brings up this idea: What if McLemore and McCallum both develop into solid NBA starters over the next few seasons and play alongside each other for eight to 10 seasons? That would make the first draft by the new management team of general manager Pete D’Alessandro and coach Michael Malone the best in the Kings’ Sacramento era.
• Kudos to the Sacramento State men’s basketball team for whipping Montana State on Saturday to earn a spot in the Big Sky Conference tournament for the first time in eight seasons. The Hornets won 10 conference games this season, the most since joining the Big Sky in 1996-97, and eight of 10 conference games at home. They open the Big Sky tournament in Ogden, Utah, against No. 2 North Dakota on Thursday at 1:05 p.m. While they are long, long shots to win the tournament and land the automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament, the future is bright, with most of the top players back next season.
• We understand why Stanford is playing Washington State at 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday in the opening round of the Pacific-12 Conference men’s basketball tournament in Las Vegas – TV and money. But that doesn’t make it right. It’s brutal for fans who have to get up early Thursday morning and for the players who have to stay focused and motivated late into the evening. Stanford’s reward if it wins? Yes, the Cardinal would play No. 3 seed Arizona State at the same time Thursday.
– Tom Couzens
Whom should the Kings start in the backcourt ?
• Isaiah Thomas and Ben McLemore
• Isaiah Thomas and Ray McCallum
• Ray McCallum and Ben McLemore
Vote above, or go to sacbee.com/sports
Weekend poll results
Which Kings rookie guard will have a better NBA career ?
• Ray McCallum: 61%
• Ben McLemore: 39%
Total votes: 152