Reading time, two minutes, NCAA style ...
• Steve Masiello, who’s had a successful run as men’s basketball coach at Manhattan College that included a near-upset of Louisville last week in the NCAA Tournament, reportedly agreed Tuesday to a five-year contract worth more than $1 million per year to coach at South Florida. But, wait – a background check of Masiello’s résumé revealed that, no, he didn’t graduate from Kentucky. South Florida pulled the offer, and it’s unclear if Manhattan will welcome him back. That’s a costly lesson about honesty.
• One of the hottest matchups in the Sweet 16 is Friday when Kentucky plays Louisville in the Midwest Regional semifinals. Sure, they’re from the same mad-for-hoops state and both have rich traditions. And, while we usually don’t like giving attention to coaches over players, consider this: Louisville’s Rick Pitino, who once coached at Kentucky, is two wins from his third consecutive Final Four; Kentucky’s John Calipari is two wins from his third Final Four in four years. The madness will be out of hand in Kentucky.
• Sean and Archie Miller, the first brothers to coach in the same Sweet 16, are on course to meet in the NCAA championship game. Archie has 11th-seeded Dayton in the Sweet 16 for the first time in 30 years. Sean has No. 1 seed Arizona in the Sweet 16 for the third time in four years. The Flyers need to beat Stanford today, the Florida-UCLA winner in Saturday’s South final, then the East champion. The Wildcats take on San Diego State today, then would need to beat the Wisconsin-Baylor winner in Saturday’s West final and the Midwest champion. Who needs the Harbaugh brothers?
– Tom Couzens
What should happen to basketball coach Steve Masiello ?
• Manhattan should fire him.
• Manhattan should take him back.
Vote above, or go to sacbee.com/sports
What’s your take on the incident involving Shaquille O’Neal?
• It was simply horseplay: 55%
• He’s too big to act that way: 18%
• He’s too old to act that way: 12%
• Assault is assault, no matter the intent: 15%
Total votes: 131