Photos Loading
previous next
  • Merced County Historical Society Archives / Merced County Historical Society Archives

    Charles H. Huffman built this fountain in 1888 to honor his wife, Laura. Because of Laura Fountain, Merced was known as Fountain City to many traveling train passengers.

  • Merced County Historical Society Archives

Sarah Lim: New image of Merced springs from a fountain

Published: Friday, Mar. 28, 2014 - 11:20 pm
Last Modified: Saturday, Mar. 29, 2014 - 3:45 pm

Merced was also known as “Fountain City” in the late 19th century.

The following is an excerpt of “Greetings from Fountain City: Historic Postcards of Merced,” which explains the origin of the name. This pictorial history book was published by the Merced County Historical Society in 2002 to celebrate Merced’s existence.

In 1872, the construction of the Central Pacific Railroad was a catalyst for Merced’s expansion. Overnight, a rural settlement along Bear Creek became a prosperous railroad town.

Charles Henry Huffman, a property holder and successful wheat farmer in the area, was responsible for the founding of Merced. He was an associate of Charles Crocker, one of the Big Four of the Central Pacific Railroad.

Crocker had made him a railroad agent and town planner. His business partnership with Huffman led to the organization of Crocker-Huffman Land and Water Co., the earliest irrigation system operator in the Merced area.

In addition to his other work, Huffman also built a public fountain next to the El Capitan railroad depot that became synonymous with Merced. This marble fountain and granite base was built in 1888 to honor his third wife, Laura Kirkland Huffman.

As this description from an 1892 history book describes the fountain made quite an impression on visitors:

“Merced is called the Fountain City, and there is evidence of the appropriateness of the title to every passenger on the railroad trains passing through the city, as the waters of the Crocker-Huffman canal, playing from the large fountain in the park maintained by the canal company, close by the El Capitan hotel and railroad station, working under pressure from Lake Yosemite, make a beautiful display which attracts all beholders.”

Local businessmen soon took advantage of this new title and named their businesses after the fountain.

There were such businesses as Fountain City Flour Mills and Fountain City Creamery. Remaining at the location near the El Capitan Hotel for more than 40 years, the fountain was moved to Applegate Park in 1935. The fountain is a lasting symbol of Huffman’s contributions to Merced.

The postcard book records the birth and growth of Merced by telling the stories of its transportation development, downtown business district, city landmarks, recreation facilities, schools, churches, homes and streets from the late 19th century to the 1960s.

Since postcards were made to advertise and promote the area, the history that they recorded is not complete. Groups such as the poor, ethnic minorities and women are often missing from these images.

For example, the postcard of Merced County Jail shows how grand the castle-like structure was. But one hardly knows how crowded and tiny the jail cells were.

As a result, one sees only the beautiful, not the ugly, the privileged, not the deprived.


Sarah Lim is museum director for the Merced County Courthouse Museum. She can be reached at info@mercedmuseum.org.

Read more articles by Sarah Lim



LATEST BEE POLITICAL VIDEOS
Sacramento Bee Job listing powered by Careerbuilder.com
Quick Job Search
Sacramento Bee Jobs »
Buy
Used Cars
Dealer and private-party ads
Make:

Model:

Price Range:
to
Search within:
miles of ZIP

Advanced Search | 1982 & Older

TODAY'S CIRCULARS