Linda Biles, left, smiles with her sister Joanne Giorgi, right, on Wednesday April 02, 2014 in Sacramento, Calif., after the vote to move Senate Bill 1255 forward at the State Capitol. Giorgi, was celebrating her birthday that day and said it was an honor to testify in memory of her daughter Natalie Giorgi, 13, who died last year from an allergic reaction to peanut butter after taking a bite into a Rice Krispies treat at Camp Sacramento. The Bill would increase the prevalence of emergency epinephrine auto-injectors, or EpiPens, in California schools,. It would not have helped Natalie Giorgi, she died despite the administration of epinephrine.
But Natalie's mother, Joanne Giorgi, told lawmakers Wednesday that access to the medication could help other children.
"You will save a life," she told the Senate Education Committee, which voted without dissent to move the bill forward.
Senate Bill 1266, by Senate Republican leader Bob Huff, R-Diamond Bar, would require school districts to give EpiPens to trained personnel to provide emergency medical aid to anyone suffering from a severe allergic reaction. The bill would expand existing law, which allows - but does not require - school districts to stock the medicine. At right is Dr. Travis Miller an allergist who practices in Sacramento and Roseville and also testified in behalf of the Bill.