Brandon Hunley’s single in the bottom of the 15th inning plated Scotty Burcham and gave host Sacramento State a 4-3 walk-off win over Seattle on Saturday.
“I just wanted to end it,” Hunley was quoted as saying on the school’s website.
The victory was the 11th in a row for the Hornets (19-11, 8-0 Western Athletic Conference). Seattle fell to 11-14 overall, 3-2 in the WAC.
Hornet headed to NCAAs
Kalliah McCartney finished sixth in the all-around at the NCAA Seattle Regional and became the first Sac State gymnast to qualify for the NCAA Championships, according to the Hornets’ website.
• UC Davis finished fifth at the NCAA Fayetteville (Ark.) Regional Championship, according to the Aggies’ website. Stephanie Stamates finished in a tie for 12th in the floor exercise and Anna Shumaker tied for 12th in the vault. Utah won the regional.
• Alec Adamson, James Wade, Kyle Miller and Parker Kelley won singles matches to lead UCD (13-8) to a 4-3 men’s tennis win over visiting Air Force (12-7), according to the Aggies’ website.
• The Sac State men (9-12, 6-3 Big Sky Conference) got singles wins from Roy Brandys, Niranjan Ram, Joaquin Marquez and Oliver Andersen in a 4-3 tennis victory over host Northern Colorado (7-5, 5-3) in Greeley, according to the Hornets’ website.
• Layla Sanders, Tiffany Pham and Kamila Kecki had singles wins as the UCD women’s tennis team (11-6, 3-2 Big West Conference) beat visiting Cal State Fullerton (5-14, 0-6) 4-3, according to the Aggies’ website.
• Lauryn Saunders hit a two-run home run to help UCD salvage a softball doubleheader split with host Cal State Northridge (24-14, 2-3 Big West), according to the Aggies’ website.
The Aggies (12-23, 1-4) lost the first game 5-1, but rebounded to take the nightcap 5-4.
• Nathanael Litwiller won the men’s 800 meters and Caprice Powell won the women’s 100 for Sac State’s track and field team at the Cal-Nevada Championships in La Jolla, according to the Hornets’ website. .
– Bee Sports staff