This, that and everything Warriors:
• The Golden State Warriors plan to move into a new 18,000-seat arena on 3rd Street in San Francisco, just down the road from AT&T Park, in 2018.
The team is asking its fans if it should change its name from Golden State to San Francisco, keeping the Warriors moniker it has had since Wilt Chamberlain was the teams center in Philadelphia.
Consider it a slam dunk no matter what Warriors fans say.
• The team was called the San Francisco Warriors when the franchise relocated from Philly in 1962. But when the team moved from the Cow Palace to the Coliseum Arena in Oakland in 1971, the name became Golden State.
• San Francisco is a international destination. Imagine the money the team will make in merchandise sales alone.
• Did you know the S.F. Warriors won as many division titles as the Golden State Warriors two?
• For visiting teams, itll mean a shorter trip to the arena. Most teams have long preferred to stay in San Francisco hotels.
• If the Warriors cant decide on a name, they can steal an idea the Angels of major-league baseball used several years ago call themselves the Golden State Warriors of San Francisco.
What to watch
NHL playoffs, Sharks at L.A. Kings, 7 p.m., CSNCA: Can the Sharks close out the series on the road, or will we see Game 7 in San Jose?
What should the Warriors be called when they move across the bay?
• San Francisco Warriors
• Golden State Warriors
• Golden State Warriors of San Francisco
Vote avove, or go to sacbee.com/sports
Weekend poll results
How many games will the 49ers win in 2014?
• 13 or more: 27%
• 10-12: 56%
• 7-9: 9%
• 6 or fewer: 8%
Total votes: 202
Breaking news alerts
Sign up for email alerts for breaking sports stories.