Residents for two Arden Arcade apartments were displaced following a fire that occurred this morning when oil was left heating on a stove unattended.
Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District crews were called to an apartment complex at 3241 Alta Arden Expressway about 10 a.m. for a reported kitchen fire. The resident of one of the apartments later told crews that he was in the kitchen cooking and put some oil on the stove, then went to the front door. The fire started while he was out of the kitchen and quickly grew. By the time the man noticed the fire, it was too intense for him to extinguish, according to a fire district news release.
When the resident was unable to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher, he evacuated the apartment and called 911.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the eaves and the front door of the unit. The apartment sustained damage to the kitchen and attic, and wiring to an adjacent apartment was damaged as well. Fire officials said residents of both units were displaced. Damage was estimated at $10,000.
No one was injured in the fire.
Fire officials remind residents that cooking is the No. 1 cause of home fires, resulting in more injuries than any other type of fire. They stress that food cooking on the stove should never be left unattended. If a small grease fire occurs, officials advise leaving the pan where it is, turning off the heat and putting a lid on the pan. If you can’t get a lid on the pan, use a fire extinguisher, or call 911.
Call The Bee’s Cathy Locke, (916) 321-5287.