Nancy Brewer of Sacramento was looking for suggestions on using leftover meatloaf besides spaghetti sauce.
Marilyn Penland of Sacramento shared Brewer’s request with her husband and his reply was, “Leftovers? Besides a sandwich the next day, what leftovers?” Penland says that she makes her meatloaf with garlic and soy sauce and her husband loves it.
Diana Landau of Sacramento had a lot of great suggestions for using leftover meatloaf.
• Pizza: Pizza round topped with marinara sauce, cheese, crumbled meatloaf, crumbled cooked bacon, more (cheddar) cheese, then bake.
• Mac n’ cheese: Fold some crumbled meatloaf into your favorite mac and cheese, then bake.
• Most awesome grilled cheese sandwich: Add a slice of meatloaf to your favorite grilled cheese sandwich.
• Stuffed mushroom appetizer: Fold in one beaten egg with crumbled meatloaf, add additional seasonings of your choice (a little truffle oil?), some bread crumbs and top with blue cheese, then bake.
• Stuffed peppers and pasta: Add some spaghetti sauce to the crumbled meatloaf and stuff peppers with it and bake. Or blend with a beaten egg and cooked spinach and stuff cannelloni with it. Pour marinara sauce over all and bake.
• Frittata: Layer cooked, sliced potatoes with crumbled meat loaf. Add a layer of sautéed mushrooms (or chopped peppers or both). Pour a mixture of beaten eggs all over and top with your favorite cheese, bake.
• Quickie enchiladas: Crumble meatloaf, add a little broth and taco seasoning. Mix with shredded cheese. Fill tortillas that have been previously softened for 30 seconds in the microwave and cover with red and green sauce. Top with more cheese. Bakes quickly.
• Asian wraps: Crumble meatloaf, add hoisin sauce and chopped green onion. Use this mixture as a filling in crispy lettuce leaves. Fill lettuce leaves with shredded carrot, bean sprouts and meat filling. Top with chopped cilantro, serve peanut sauce and a cucumber salad on the side.